Strip down..

HarshReality

Reaction score
So, my wife wanted a GPS for the truck and I remembered NAVFree (maps offline and all) my question is. Anybody know of a tutorial or such that would tell me the most minimalistic way to strip my OG down so its only holding navigation app.. Yes its rooted etc. but I havent touched it in forever (went through a nexus and now on HTC One M8 so Im a bit rusty here.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
I have stripped down my wife's S3 by disabling some apps and she only has the 4 icons she uses on the home screen. Rooted should provide even more options but I'm not certain it's needed if you just remove the shortcuts.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
When I turned my old Inc 1 into a music player only I just uninstalled all 3rd party apps I didn't want, deleted shortcut icons for the rest after doing a factory reset.
You can get a free app called Network to turn off the cdma/evdo radios, dramatically increasing battery life while still having WiFi and GPS available as desired.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
This is how I would do it. I'd find a rom then with 7zip I would remove everything from the rom I didn't want. Make a backup then flash the rom without gapps. If it worked, I'd keep it. If it didn't work, I'd wouldn't delete as much and try again. Depending on how stripped down you wanted it.

You're still gonna need a launcher app. But as for stuff like the phone, mms, etc, I'm not sure if you need those. If my D1 still worked, I could tell you better

Tapped from a Moto X

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Not flashing gapps will cause force closes for a lot of system settings including keyboard. :(

Sent from my Eclipsed XT1060

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
Not flashing gapps will cause force closes for a lot of system settings including keyboard. :(

For the original Droid? I take your word for it but it never happened to me, is why I suggested it. In fact, I'd flash without the gapps to see if I liked the rom before setting everything up.

Tapped from a Moto X

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Can't say for the d1. But for my x2 and above, if the ROM required gapps and you didn't use them, it went wonky.

You're probably right seeing as you owned the phone lol. :)

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
I basically did the same thing the op wants to do when I replaced my D1 with my Galaxy Nexus. And it ran fine. Just didn't go as far as they want to go.

Tapped from a Moto X