The Nexus One / Google Phone & Verizon - What We Know

J

JohnDroid

The press conference was very interesting and we found out a few things that no one was expecting. The phone was pretty much what had been reported, so nothing new there... but we did find out that Google Earth would be out for the Android 2.1 platform and I had not seen that anywhere previously.

In addition, Google hit us with the fact that both Verizon and Vodaphone (and during the Q&A session they mentioned other carriers will be coming soon as soon as they can integrate the ordering system with carrier IT infrastructure to make it a seamless ordering experience) very soon.

So, you'll be able to use this phone probably by Spring of 2010 with every major carrier in the world. Just a hunch but the hardware obviously can be adapted to work with all carriers.

You can order your phone today and it will ship today and includes free FedEx overnight shipping if you order the unlocked version. T-Mobile ordering was not available at the time I made my purchase so I picked up an unlocked version.

You can order online, right now here: Nexus One Phone - Web meets phone.

We did a quite thorough transcript (but not perfect) in our Chat archives which you can view here: Nexus One Forum - Google Phone Forum - ChatBox

Don't forget to follow our Twitter account for the latest updates here: Nexus One Forum (NexusOneForum) on Twitter or you can join the Nexus One fans facebook group here: Nexus One Fans | Facebook

As always, the discussion about the Nexus One is raging over on the Nexus One Forum.

tktouch12

Reaction score
Is there anyway to return my droid for this wen it comes out?

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Is there anyway to return my droid for this wen it comes out?

Sure. Just wait a couple of years. Or you could pay the penalty specified in your contract. I'm assuming you're not a pro athlete and understand the concept of a contract.

Actually, for those of us still in the "return window" it would be possible, I assume, to return your Droid and go back to your previous phone for a few months until the Nexus is available on Verizon. But from what I've seen, there is almost no reason to do so other than the "first kid" syndrome.

It does, however, raise an interesting question about Verizon's incentive to provide 2.1 for the Droid. Do they want to differentiate the phones by retaining the 2.0.1 O/S on the Droid with 2.1 on the Nexus or would they be better off bringing the Droid up to the same O/S spec as the Nexus and minimizing the differences between the two phones?

db83

Reaction score
I think I'm still in the return window. But if this phone is gonna be months away, I don't think I'm gonna bother. I like my droid way too much right now and the thought of going back to my samsung omnia for a few months is not appealing at all to me. Plus, by this time next year, there will be even more amazing phones to buy and my contract with be a few months shorter which means shorter time to wait til I can upgrade.

stuhasdroid

Reaction score
Return ? no way

Nah, I like the phone I have. I like the substantial feel of the Droid.

Heck, I'm happy with 2.0 and knowing that at some point 2.1 will be available albeit some of the small changes with 2.1 alone don't keep me up at night.

I think the Nexus One brings some more light to Android and actually benefits the Droid. At least for now. As it is available today on VZW and that is a big benefit.

Do we know IF the Nexus One has the nifty behaviors the Droid does for docking ?

I know the processor is faster with the Nexus One. That is about the only immediate advantage that I see as attractive but my Droid does fine today with 600 mhz.

Cheers,

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I agree Stu,

Droid users going to the Nexus will probably tear a muscle whipping the thing off a table, expecting it to be heavier .... (I like the heft as well). :)

mach330

Reaction score
not sure if this has been brought up already. the droid has the gorilla glass touchscreen. how about the n1? i do like how pretty scratch resistant the gorilla glass is.

tktouch12

Reaction score
The reason for me that I would want the n1 is all that ram. I'd really speed things up

Skrat982

Reaction score
The email I got, suggested that 2.1 would be available to Droid users "within the next couple of days.":lifting:

db83

Reaction score
So flash player on the nexus one huh? does the motorola droid have flash capability? And anyone know when this thing is coming to verizon yet? I am now considering returning my droid and waiting for it.

Guurzak

Reaction score
2.1 will be on the Droid this month. The Droid will have Flash on the same day as the Nexus. Motorola and Verizon would not stand still for anything else. Really, the only significant ongoing difference between the Droid and the Nexus is going to be the physical engineering. Keep the Droid if you prefer true keyboard/ heavy/ masculine design, Nexus for those who prefer slimmer/ lighter/ more iPhone like design. The software experience is going to end up identical.

I like the keyboard and the sturdiness, so I'm keeping my Droid.

db83

Reaction score
if the droid is going to have flash and 2.1, I prefer the physical keyboard as well. but is it for certain?