Thinking of switching from VZW... to T-mobile... help with ETF

streetmike

Reaction score
So we currently have 3 lines (1 dumb, 1 unlimited, 1 4gb) and we we are all now out of contract. The dumb phone now wants to be a smart phone and now want to add another smartphone also, so 4 lines with 4 smartphones. Currently on Nationwide 700, unlimited family text, and the monthly bill is $155.89 with 22% discount. I don't mind loosing my unlimited as I hardly ever hit 3gb (have hit 4+ a few times though). Looking at the family share plans I just feel disgusted by the prices. I am thinking of going to Walmart and picking up the Windows phone or GS3 (plan on returning it after) and a $30 T-mobile prepaid card to test drive the network. If all is good I think we might make the switch. The one thing that gets me is the cost of the phones is much higher off contract then ATT and VZW. I was thinking of switching to ATT for a month (no activation/upgrade fees) and getting new G2's. Then pick up some old ATT phones, activate them and do the switch to T-mobile while trading in those old phones. Then I can sell the G2's for $400ish and it would make the G2's from T-mobile ~$200 plus tax. Does this seam doable, or will T-mobile not allow the old phones to be traded in? The way I read their ETF buyout was they would pay your ETF, up to $350 per line, as long as you trade in a phone. You may get up to $300 on your trade in also.

Does this sound right?

Thanks!
Mike

dasanman69

Reaction score
So we currently have 3 lines (1 dmb, 1 unlimited, 1 4gb) and we we are all now out of contract. The dumb phone now wants to be a smart phone and now want to add another smartphone also, so 4 lines with 4 smartphones. Currently on Nationwide 700, unlimited family text, and the monthly bill is $155.89 with 22% discount. I don't mind loosing my unlimited as I hardly ever hit 3gb (have hit 4+ a few times though). Looking at the family share plans I just feel disgusted by the prices. I am thinking of going to Walmart and picking up the Windows phone or GS3 (plan on returning it after) and a $30 T-mobile prepaid card to test drive the network. If all is good I think we might make the switch. The one thing that gets me is the cost of the phones is much higher off contract then ATT and VZW. I was thinking of switching to ATT for a month (no activation/upgrade fees) and getting new G2's. Then pick up some old ATT phones, activate them and do the switch to T-mobile while trading in those old phones. Then I can sell the G2's for $400ish and it would make the G2's from T-mobile ~$200 plus tax. Does this seam doable, or will T-mobile not allow the old phones to be traded in? The way I read their ETF buyout was they would pay your ETF, up to $350 per line, as long as you trade in a phone. You may get up to $300 on your trade in also.

Does this sound right?

Thanks!
Mike

Have you spoken to VZW? They might just work with you. Why not just buy unlocked phones that you can use on both AT&T and Tmobile? T-Mobile will pay you up to $350 for a phone you turn in. If you're in contract you can use it to pay your ETF or for a new phone, but they're not going to give you $350 for your ETF and then an additional $300 for the phone you turn in.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
They send you a prepaid debit card for up to $350 per line once you get your final bill from the carrier. AND, they will buy your phones from you when you come in to switch, up to $300 per phone.

dasanman69

Reaction score
They send you a prepaid debit card for up to $350 per line once you get your final bill from the carrier. AND, they will buy your phones from you when you come in to switch, up to $300 per phone.

I just checked and you're correct, I thought it was either or but not both. I suggest that you go into Tmobile and find out you'd get for a G2.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
And you can sell your unlimited line for $200-400 via Verizon assumption of liability.

OP
streetmike

streetmike

Reaction score
So I went and checked out AT&T for fun. Found out we have a 25% discount with them. Plus we can still activate the older Share plans and not the value share plans. Plus all 4 G2's were free. Ended up being about $210 per month plus taxes for the 10gb package. My sister usually averages about 1 gb and I am sure my mom will be about the same. My brother in law probably wont be that bad and pull ~2gb.

So I ordered the phones, but how do I go about selling my Verizon plan? Do I do it before I activate and port the numbers over?

tommyg562000

Reaction score
You can port number AND sell the unlimited data line? That doesn't seem right...

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk