Two simple questions from a new user...

OP
C

Chuxter

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC 1 [M8]
This may also help, I found this advice on another forum where someone else had lost their contacts on an HTC one.

"Go to phone app.Top left is accounts (google, phone, facebook, etc.) and tap it. It should let you see which account you have your contacts stored. Select it and there they be!"

I haven't used an HTC phone in quite a long time, so I'm unfamiliar with the changes they've made.

Did you manage to look into whether her contacts were still synced on the PC? If they're truly give from the phone, that will be the next step.

Sent from my Note 4

First, thanks for all your help!

I don't understand "Top left is accounts..."? Nothing like that here...

But as I said in reply to previous post, she WAS able to recover her contacts from PC. :)

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
First, thanks for all your help!

I don't understand "Top left is accounts..."? Nothing like that here...

But as I said in reply to previous post, she WAS able to recover her contacts from PC. :)

Not a problem! That's what this forum is here for.

Might be a different software version. Like I said, I don't have a lot of experience with HTC phones lately, so I was doing a blind search. Since she got them recovered, just disregard that post.

Just make sure that she doesn't delete the contacts from the PC and she'll always have a backup.

OP
C

Chuxter

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC 1 [M8]
I also just stumbled upon this great resource thread for new users. I didn't have a chance to dig in to each of the links they provided, but there's at least one that pertains to switching from ios (iPhone) to android. Not sure if there's anything in there that will help with some of your issues, but I figured there might be some beneficial information there for you.

New To Android Check This Out Android Forum at DroidForums.net

That link is impressive! I have not had time to go through much of it yet, but I looked at the "Jumping Ship..." section. I noticed that he calls the 3-vertical-dots icon the "Settings" icon, instead of the "Menu" icon. I wish everybody used the same names. It's especially troublesome to new converts who don't have a clue!

Thanks for doing the research!!!

OP
C

Chuxter

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC 1 [M8]
Not a problem! That's what this forum is here for.

Might be a different software version. Like I said, I don't have a lot of experience with HTC phones lately, so I was doing a blind search. Since she got them recovered, just disregard that post.

Just make sure that she doesn't delete the contacts from the PC and she'll always have a backup.

I would think that Android had a backup facility? One of my goals is to never see iTunes again! :) Do we REALLY have to maintain our Apple ties in order to get backups? What happens to that iTunes backup when we add new contacts? I can't believe that Apple will sync our new contacts from our new Android phones! :-0

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I suppose if you want to get real technical, it's the Settings Menu. Haha! So it's kinda like Soda Pop being shortened to Soda in some areas and Pop in others.

And no thanks needed. That thread was listed under Active Topics here on the forum and I thought it might help you get your bearings.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I would think that Android had a backup facility? One of my goals is to never see iTunes again! :) Do we REALLY have to maintain our Apple ties in order to get backups? What happens to that iTunes backup when we add new contacts? I can't believe that Apple will sync our new contacts from our new Android phones! :-0
As long as you setup a gmail/google account when you first got the phones, then be sure to select that gmail account when saving a new contact, they will backup to that gmail account and you won't need itunes. I was just suggesting that you keep it around until you're certain that they've been backed up.

I'd be interested to see what account on the phone those itunes contacts were placed in as well, because if they're not associated with that gmail account, they won't be backed up to it.

If you can export contacts from itunes as a csv file (I think it's csv, but it might be something similar), you can log in to that gmail account from a PC, navigate to contacts, and there's an option to import them. That will ensure that they're all tied to the gmail account and can be easily recovered if something like this were to happen again.

OP
C

Chuxter

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC 1 [M8]
The English language at it's finest! I personally don't use ANY of those terms, as they are too colloquial. Is "carbonated beverage" too broad [that includes beer, some wines, and a few waters]? :)

As I only drink "Cola" that's the term I use...

I remember many years ago, I attended a technical/service class for a HUGE disk drive system. There was an Italian in the class. He had limited English language proficiency and didn't talk much. The last day, the instructor asked everyone for constructive criticism on the class. The Italian "guy" asked why the instructor called every part inside the big machine a "guy"? The class laughed. Not at the Italian, but at the strangeness of our language... :)

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Now that she has her contacts back she should sync them to Google. You will not lose your contacts again. Another bonus to syncing them is that if you decide to switch back to iOS they can be imported straight onto the phone without the need of a computer.

OP
C

Chuxter

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC 1 [M8]
When we do that, does Google save them in their Cloud? I would much prefer to save them on our PCs.

OP
C

Chuxter

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC 1 [M8]
As long as you setup a gmail/google account when you first got the phones, then be sure to select that gmail account when saving a new contact, they will backup to that gmail account and you won't need itunes. I was just suggesting that you keep it around until you're certain that they've been backed up.

I'd be interested to see what account on the phone those itunes contacts were placed in as well, because if they're not associated with that gmail account, they won't be backed up to it.

If you can export contacts from itunes as a csv file (I think it's csv, but it might be something similar), you can log in to that gmail account from a PC, navigate to contacts, and there's an option to import them. That will ensure that they're all tied to the gmail account and can be easily recovered if something like this were to happen again.

I very much agree that we must keep our old Apple contacts list until we get everything duplicated in the Google sphere.

I'll check to see where her contacts are on her phone. How do I tell? I looked on my phone and it's not obvious what account was used! I know it's not the AT&T account, because when I click on it, it wants me to register. It also doesn't appear to be Google.

???

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
When we do that, does Google save them in their Cloud? I would much prefer to save them on our PCs.
Everything is in the cloud friend. Even if you never log in to your bank's website, they still store your information in a computer connected to the internet, and therefor, your banking information is a part of the cloud whether you put it there or not.

OP
C

Chuxter

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC 1 [M8]
I had a list of the drugs I take on my iPhone. I tried to sync it to the HTC using HTCSM. Now it's nowhere [that I can find]. :-(

OP
C

Chuxter

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC 1 [M8]
Everything is in the cloud friend. Even if you never log in to your bank's website, they still store your information in a computer connected to the internet, and therefor, your banking information is a part of the cloud whether you put it there or not.

I know. But I don't like it and I don't have to contribute. My list of passwords is not in the Cloud...