unlimited plan, specific questions...not to beat a dead horse

blee1222

Reaction score
We just received a new iphone5 (sitting in the box on my lap), upgraded on a dumb line, and we have 2 unlimited lines, one having an old iphone4. That's the ultimate line i want the new phone on. I have 3 quick questions...1. do i have to activate the new phone on the dumb line first? 2. If so, can i do it on the website, or do i have to call VZW? 3. Can i call VZW and they do all of this for me, meaning will they activate the new phone on the unlimited for me willingly, knowing i am keeping the unlimited data with an upgraded phone from another line? Thanks for any help.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
1. yes. If you activate it on your unlimited line you will lose unlimited and be moved into a tiered plan

2. Not sure, I always did mine in store to be sure.

3. Pretty sure they'll tell you if you activate on the unlimited line that you'll lose it.

Roget83

Reaction score
I just activated the phone on the dumb line. Then switched the phone to the unlimited and canceled the data plan on the dumb line. Everything went well.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I just activated the phone on the dumb line. Then switched the phone to the unlimited and canceled the data plan on the dumb line. Everything went well.

That's how it's done. Done this many times. ;)

Beamed From the white sun in the S4 Galaxy.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
I want to do this. I have a dumb phone line i was going to cancel. Where did you buy your phone. How specifically did you active it on the dumb line? On line? In a store?

Roget83

Reaction score
Went to the Verizon store and bought the phone. Had it activated on the dumb line. Went home and switched the sim card. Went online and canceled the data plan on the dumb line. Reactivated the dumb phone. I think I was charged a dollar for the data plan I canceled.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I want to do this. I have a dumb phone line i was going to cancel. Where did you buy your phone. How specifically did you active it on the dumb line? On line? In a store?

I used the dumb line at Verizon ...walked in told rep I need to upgrade my dumb line and put transfer to my unlimited line immediately ..only extra step was we called customer service they had me power off my old dumb phone and power on after switch back ..hit *228 to activate dumb phone again..

N3 tapa

OP
B

blee1222

Reaction score
First, I am trying to do this all online to avoid going into a store. But if going into a store is easier, so be it.

So.....the steps I was/am going to use is activate the new phone on the dumb line....done...activated with a 2 GIG data plan. I was then going to put the dumb phone back on the dumb line and switch the new Iphone to an unlimited line.

So I have 2 lines with unlimited and a line with the new Iphone (previously a dumb line) with a 2 gig plan. I then went to put the dumb phone back on that line, and then switch the Iphone to an unlimited line. But, when I went to put the dumb phone (LG VX8300 flip phone), the site sends me a window stating...The device you're activating is not compatible with your current plan. Please select a Data Plan below.
Your SIM Card will be deactivated in 90 days.

I thought when I put the dumb phone back on the dumb line, the previous plan would come back into play. Do I need pick yet another cheap data plan and then go back later and remove it? Am I doing this correctly?

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Call customer service they will help you over phone ...call from landline I'm sure it can be resolved quickly

N3 tapa

trucksix

Reaction score
I get tons of email, if unopened on cell phone, I just open 2, do all count against data allowance or just the 2 that I opened??