Verizon wireless: We’re ready for 2011 hurricane season

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;6KSFp_p5dzM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KSFp_p5dzM&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - Keeping Alabama Connected[/video]​

BASKING RIDGE, N.J. – With two weeks until the start of the 2011 Hurricane Season on June 1, the Verizon Wireless network stands ready to serve customers in the event of a major storm or emergency.

Verizon Wireless prepares year-round for natural disasters and other emergencies to provide customers with reliable wireless coverage. Verizon Wireless’ ongoing efforts to establish a reliable network include:

· Investing $6 billion annually on average in its national wireless network to provide the nation’s largest and most reliable voice and 3G data networks, and its 4G LTE network – the nation’s fastest and most advanced 4G network – in select markets. Nationally, Verizon Wireless has invested more than $65 billion in its network since the company was formed.
· Cells on Wheels (COWs), Cells on Light Trucks (COLTs), and Generators on Trailers (GOaTs) that can be rolled into hard-hit locations or areas that need extra network capacity.
· Pre-arranging fuel delivery to mobile units and generators to keep the network operating at full strength even if power is lost for an extended period of time.
· Business continuity/disaster recovery plans so the company can continue vital operations to serve customers during emergency situations.
· Test men and women who travel more than 1 million miles to measure the quality of Verizon Wireless voice and data service calls across the country.
· Conducting hundreds of emergency exercises each year, simulating events such as natural disasters, transportation disruptions and power outages.

The company’s commitment to network reliability, business continuity and disaster preparedness have proven critical during and after past hurricanes and other disasters. Most recently, Verizon Wireless network teams worked round the clock following the devastating tornadoes in Alabama to fix cell sites damaged in the storms and increase capacity. [video=youtube;6KSFp_p5dzM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KSFp_p5dzM"]See a video of Verizon Wireless’ support in Alabama[/video].

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
That's good to know. Land lines are one of the last things to get fixed. We rely on cellphones to check on friends and family. Or find out what gas stations are open for our generators.

Sent by the Unbrickable DROID

Mines_01

Reaction score
oh joy, someone has to remind us about hurricane season.... at least i can talk on the phone through the hurricanes down here on the gulf coast.

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Say what you want...during the Tornados that ripped through Alabama 3 weeks ago, I only lost voice service for less than 12 hours...but I still was able to surf 3G data. Verizon did a hell of a job keeping their service going thhroughout all the total devestation in the South East...I applaud them.

Sent from my GB'd Droid X

Mines_01

Reaction score
As i was implying i live minutes away from Mobile bay, so if we have any hurricanes i will be able to talk on my phone. wasn't being a smart a$$, okay well i was, but not saying it as in the since of woopty fn doo, more of thats great to hear. anyway i'll stfu now.

BodyBagz

Reaction score
As i was implying i live minutes away from Mobile bay, so if we have any hurricanes i will be able to talk on my phone. wasn't being a smart a$$, okay well i was, but not saying it as in the since of woopty fn doo, more of thats great to hear. anyway i'll stfu now.

I want directing my comments to anyone in particular...sorry if it seemed as so. I was merely making the statement that unlike AT&T, Verizon does actually "care" about their services...:icon_eek:

Mines_01

Reaction score

I want directing my comments to anyone in particular...sorry if it seemed as so. I was merely making the statement that unlike AT&T, Verizon does actually "care" about their services...:icon_eek:

Oh lol my bad. I didn't mean to jump down your throat lol had a long week at work and was in process of moving at the time.

ahC_hED

Reaction score
Yup, had an f4 run a half a mile by me and only lost voice for about 10 and data for about an hour. Those were some crazy storms.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Mines_01

Reaction score
I can imagine. I'm just pondering how bad the hurricanes are gonna be this year since the weather has been so bad this year

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I can imagine. I'm just pondering how bad the hurricanes are gonna be this year since the weather has been so bad this year

hurricanes havent been too bad since katrina/rita/wilma....not that that means anything but these predictions usually dont lead to much...crazy hurricanes are an anomaly

BodyBagz

Reaction score
In that video that is posted, the first minute or so showing the tornado from the Verizon Store parking lot..was filmed about 2-1/2 miles from the shop where I work in Cullman Alabama. I work full time for the Fed Gov/Alabama Army National Guard at the maintenance facility there in town...and have shopped in that particular store before... The town is still cleaning up fallen trees and scattered buildings..