Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
In a way it does make me a little more comfortable staying with VZW and upgrading devices. But I have been doing a lot of research on the subject lately and what I have been finding is that it seems the manufacturers choose who will get the update right away for testing. I do recall reading an article that Samsung had released the update to VZW to help test right in the beginning.

Although I thought that same article said that VZW was also helping in the initial testing for the Note 4.

Reactions: cr6

mike0164

Reaction score
I got the update on Saturday; I'm in the Raleigh/Durham area of NC. So far, I'm very impressed with battery life. I went 24 hours of moderate use with only 50% battery drain. Previously, I would have been drained and charging.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

pjkump

Reaction score
Well, after a few days of running 6.0 I have a couple of observations.

-For some reason wifi seems to lose connection quite often and I have to reconnect.
-Battery life has been terrible (see attached screenshot). After being fully charged at night I set it on the night stand and after 7+ hours of mosly just sitting there it drained my battery 35%. Doesn't seem like the Doze feature is working very well. My next step is to do a factory reset (which I normally do when a huge update comes out) and see what happens from there.
-I like the toned down touchwiz. More whites and muted colors throughout.
-zippy and fast, not that it was a problem in Lollipop but overall it seems a touch better.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160307-081110.png
    Screenshot_20160307-081110.png
    141.5 KB · Views: 134

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Well, after a few days of running 6.0 I have a couple of observations.

-For some reason wifi seems to lose connection quite often and I have to reconnect.
-Battery life has been terrible (see attached screenshot). After being fully charged at night I set it on the night stand and after 7+ hours of mosly just sitting there it drained my battery 35%. Doesn't seem like the Doze feature is working very well. My next step is to do a factory reset (which I normally do when a huge update comes out) and see what happens from there.
-I like the toned down touchwiz. More whites and muted colors throughout.
-zippy and fast, not that it was a problem in Lollipop but overall it seems a touch better.
Did you do a factory data reset after the update? If you look through the multitude of OS update threads over there years, you'll see that this is a frequent occurrence across all make/model smartphones. It's usually not required when doing the smaller "maintenance" or "bug fix" updates, but when taking a major update from KitKat to Lollipop, Lollipop to Marshmallow etc etc, it's strongly advised to perform a factory data reset after you've received the update.
I know that's not the answer you wanted to hear, but I can assure you it's standard operating procedure to do so, and it'll resolve a multitude of problems. Granted some folks can get away without doing it, and oftentimes problems won't crop up until later down the road, but your best bet is a FDR. (Especially since you're experiencing more than one problem)
Of course don't forget to back up your contacts, files, etc first.
Good luck & let us know how you make out.

S5 tap'n

pjkump

Reaction score
Did you do a factory data reset after the update? If you look through the multitude of OS update threads over there years, you'll see that this is a frequent occurrence across all make/model smartphones. It's usually not required when doing the smaller "maintenance" or "bug fix" updates, but when taking a major update from KitKat to Lollipop, Lollipop to Marshmallow etc etc, it's strongly advised to perform a factory data reset after you've received the update.
I know that's not the answer you wanted to hear, but I can assure you it's standard operating procedure to do so, and it'll resolve a multitude of problems. Granted some folks can get away without doing it, and oftentimes problems won't crop up until later down the road, but your best bet is a FDR. (Especially since you're experiencing more than one problem)
Of course don't forget to back up your contacts, files, etc first.
Good luck & let us know how you make out.

S5 tap'n

No problem, as you can see in my original note the FDR was the next step. I did that earlier today so now it's just a matter of going a few days to see how it performs. One other note is that my phone is running very light weight with no extra apps with push notifications, like email, facebook, instagram, etc.

Reactions: cr6

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Doze seems to be working fairly well for me. With Lollipop I would say my battery drained anywhere from 5-7%, but ever since Marshmallow update, it's been 4% at most the past couple days.

I did not do a factory reset and don't plan on doing one either. Seems it updated just fine for me, I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

pjkump

Reaction score
I did the FDR and last night had my phone charged to 100% before I went to sleep and here is the result. A little better but not great. I will run the same test tonight on wifi if it stays connected. Still seems to disconnect automatically when the phone sleeps.
:(

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160308-074215.png
    Screenshot_20160308-074215.png
    171.2 KB · Views: 139

mike0164

Reaction score
I did the FDR and last night had my phone charged to 100% before I went to sleep and here is the result. A little better but not great. I will run the same test tonight on wifi if it stays connected. Still seems to disconnect automatically when the phone sleeps.
I'm no expert, but that is not bad. 24+ hours on a single charge is nothing to sneeze at. Since that first day, I'm getting similar results, without an FDR:
uploadfromtaptalk1457470317740.png

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Wow your battery drops that much overnight? In roughly 8hrs my phone drops maybe 4% now.

Do you have apps that refresh in the background?

pjkump

Reaction score
Wow your battery drops that much overnight? In roughly 8hrs my phone drops maybe 4% now.

Do you have apps that refresh in the background?

I don't have any apps running in the background. That's what the bummer is, you can see that cell standby, the operating system, google services, and phone idle are the main battery drains. My note 3 was the same as you state above, about 4 or 5% overnight in the same bed, same house.

I tried it again with wifi on, as I said I would, and got similar results but the wifi had dropped at some point during the night.