Web browsing very slow since ICS update no matter which browser I use.

knicks0320

Reaction score
Hi, since the ICS update I have only had one problem, my web browsing has slowed to a crawl. I've used Dolphin Browser for two years between my Rezound and my old D1 and it has always been fast and reliable. Since the update it is my slowest browser. I've tried several others including Opera Mini, Boat Browser, and Chrome; they are all nearly as slow and laggy as Dolphin. The stock Internet Browser seems to be the fastest, but not by much. I have done a factory reset since the update as many have advised, but I have not seen a difference in my browsing speed. I used the settings menu to do the reset rather than through the boot menu, could that make a difference? Would you advise a second factory reset? Or is there any advice you can give me? Much appreciated. Htc Rezound Stock, unrooted.

acejavelin

Reaction score
Hi, since the ICS update I have only had one problem, my web browsing has slowed to a crawl. I've used Dolphin Browser for two years between my Rezound and my old D1 and it has always been fast and reliable. Since the update it is my slowest browser. I've tried several others including Opera Mini, Boat Browser, and Chrome; they are all nearly as slow and laggy as Dolphin. The stock Internet Browser seems to be the fastest, but not by much. I have done a factory reset since the update as many have advised, but I have not seen a difference in my browsing speed. I used the settings menu to do the reset rather than through the boot menu, could that make a difference? Would you advise a second factory reset? Or is there any advice you can give me? Much appreciated. Htc Rezound Stock, unrooted.
There has been some discussion that a Factory Reset via hboot is better (clears Dalvik cache) than the one from the menus, so if you are a position to do it pretty easily I would definitely do that next, it could make a difference but there is no guarantee.

Have you tried running a speed test to see what kind of speeds you are getting? Speedtest.Net is currently the defacto speed test, although it shouldn't be taken as the end all speed tests.

Are you getting decent signal? Network Signal Info can let you easily know if your phone is getting good mobile data and WiFi signal

If all this looks good, I would consider flashing the Official 3.14.605.12 RUU (maybe something didn't flash correctly), the 4.3.605.2 Global Mode leaked RUU (it's radios seem better for most people), or getting a replacement Rezound from Verizon.

The only other thing I can think of that could be the issue is a defective SIM card, most Verizon stores can change this out pretty quickly too.

OP
knicks0320

knicks0320

Reaction score
Thank you for your response. My 4g speed test is excellent, download is 12.79 Mbps and upload is 1.64 Mbps. The ping is 101 ms but I'm not sure what that means. The network signal strength on the other hand does not seem so good. It is showing my wifi signal strength to be around 75% though I'm only 10 feet away from the router and my mobile signal strength is around 66 to 70%. Do you think I should go ahead with the second factory reset with these numbers? Thanks again.

acejavelin

Reaction score
Thank you for your response. My 4g speed test is excellent, download is 12.79 Mbps and upload is 1.64 Mbps. The ping is 101 ms but I'm not sure what that means. The network signal strength on the other hand does not seem so good. It is showing my wifi signal strength to be around 75% though I'm only 10 feet away from the router and my mobile signal strength is around 66 to 70%. Do you think I should go ahead with the second factory reset with these numbers? Thanks again.
12/1.5 on 4G seems low to me, I get around 40/15, but for web browsing those speeds shouldn't slow you down at all, but remember that until just a few years ago, businesses often ran entire networks of 100s of users with slower internet access than that. A Ping of 101ms just means that when the phone tested the delay it takes for a packet of information to be sent to the remote server and get it sent back, it was just under a tenth of a second, depending on the route the packet took to get to the server this can vary a lot, seems completely normal to me (I average 150ms-200ms for most nearby servers).

Actually, percentage is irrelevant and sometimes misleading, dBm is a true level of strength... but those percentage numbers are not unusual or troublesome and not always related to the phone itself (distance to tower, interference, surroundings)... But I do not think that the issue is with the signal strength (speed test confirms its acceptable), so the issue is something else.

Do you have access to a friend with a VZW 4G smartphone to compare it to, perhaps it is a localized problem?

I would probably factory reset via hboot next and then before loading any apps at all, try the default browser and bounce around a few pages to see if you notice similar slow issues.

Last edited:
OP
knicks0320

knicks0320

Reaction score
Thanks again for the advice, I think I will try the Hboot next since I don't really know anyone with a 4g phone. On a side note, I had no idea 4g speeds were that fast. My verizon fios usually can push about 25 and 8.

martinu

Reaction score

I have seen this. I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 (GT-I9100) running Android 4.1.2, the latest version that Samsung have released for the phone. Using a reasonably fast internet connection (Speedtest.net on a Windows 7 laptop connected either by Ethernet or WiFi gives about 2.5 Mbps down and 0.4 Mbps up), I get reasonably fast downloads of apps and emails, but browsing using Firefox or Dolphin (latest versions, as updated automatically) is painful. news.bbc.co.uk (a standard test that I use) takes about 15 seconds to load every page (mostly text, a few small photos) and some other sites (eg Wikipedia) can take a couple of minutes to load a page which on Windows 7 / Firefox take less than a second.

I've run Ookla Speedtest.net on the Samsung and just given 2.4 / 0.5 Mbps, so it's definitely not running slowly.

This is a standard (non-rooted) Android, as supplied by Samsung. I think the phone had Android 4.0.x originally but updated itself to 4.1 in May 2013. As far as I can remember, browsing has always been slow - I don't think it got noticeably slower after the upgrade to 4.1 (ICS).

I initially blamed mobile 2G/3G because I only use the phone for browsing if I'm away from home and WiFi and therefore have to use 3G (at home I use Windows - much easier with a mouse and a proper keyboard and a full-size screen), but now I'm wondering whether it's *all* browsing on the Android, irrespective of whether it's connected by WiFi or 2G/3G.

Does anyone have any suggestions for things I can check which may be causing very slow browsing?