What tools do I need to flash my first custom rom?

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just rooted a week ago. I'm running stock froyo and have been messing with the cool new apps I'm able to use (overclock, ad free, etc.. I want to go to the next step, but kinda nervous about bricking my d2. What apps and programs do I need to make sure I'm safe before trying to flash my first rom? Also, how do I make a backup of my current situation without flashing a custom rom? I have d2 bootstrap. I read somewhere about a Sbf or something and rsd lite? As you can see in a noob. Any help with this whole process would be awesome!
Sent from my rooted DROID2

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Backup:
first things first, boot in to clockwork by opening the droid 2 bootstrapper and hitting bootstrap recovery, an then reboot recovery. once inside, use the volume rocker to navigate to the backup/restore and then use the camera button to select and then choose to do a backup.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Preperation:
after that is done you may want to look into purchasing titanium backup pro, this is an app that will let you backup and restore your user apps after flashing a rom. you may have already purchased it to freeze bloatware. if you do have it, then open it up and do a batch operation to backup all user apps. then if you want to back up your text messages you can grab sms backup, but i don't think that's all that necessary. lastly, i would open up your contacts app and hit the menu button ad then choose more and then export to sd card, that way if you lose your contacts in the switch and for some reason google didn't sync them, you can easily restore them yourself.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Flash:
whatever rom you choose will have a set of instructions in it's release thread. this will usually boil down to:
1.download rom and place on the root of the sd card
2.boot in to clockwork and do a wipe of data and cache
3.choose install update and then, choose update from sd card
4.find the rom zip and flash it
5.when the flash completes choose to reboot now, first boot will take around 5 minutes.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
the sbf is something you should familiarize yourself with before getting in to the advanced modding. check out the third link in my signature for a very detailed explination of everything i've already discussed here as well as the sbf process.

OP
ldopa

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
You have been a big help to me thanks! I have been doing some research on rsd lite but it seems confusing. I found a site that had a bunch of versions of it and I downloaded one to my sd. I gotta feeling this is something to put on the pc not my phone? Isn't that what nandroid is for? I guess sbf is a just in case huh? Also, from what you wrote it seems that doing a nandroid backup doesn't back up your apps or contacts. I have titanium lite but I also have the app my backup. Would that work too? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to be smart about this. I read the forums alot and see all the problems people have.

OP
ldopa

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
One more thing I should do a nandroid backup even before messing with droid overclock on stock root? Kinda too late now cause I'm ovetclocked and I changed my boot animation.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
yes rsd lite goes on the computer not the phone. and an sbf is indeed a just in case type of measure, if you read up before doing anything you may never have to do one but it is still a good thing to know about. as for the backup, yes it will backup your apps but you either restore the entire backup or nothing. this means that you wan't a second way of backng up your apps and data so that you can restore them later. yes you can use the lite version of titanium just fine but it will take a little more time and work on your part.

and no i wouldn't worry too much about making a backup before overclocking but my best advice would be to not set anything on boot until you are sure it's totally stable.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
if you want to learn how to flash an sbf i can certainly help you with that. first you'll need to download rsd lite 4.9 on your pc. i can't post direct links here but i can pm you if you need. next, you will need the most current sbf for your phone which is the 2.3.2 full sbf. again i can't post a link but i'll pm you.

the third post in this thread will really help you to understand the process

OP
ldopa

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Awesome. Thank you so much! Pm me with the link for the 2.3.2 ver and for rsd lite. I would totally appreciate your help. Can I download the file to my phone then to my laptop (my pc doesn't have Internet)? Also, I saw that the new liberty update is out. Is this a good first rom to flash or is there a safer one that I should try first?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm doing some house cleaning but I'll pm you in a bit. As far as roms are concerned, it is really a personal choice. I have tried all of them at one point or another. You can't really go wrong.

tappin and a talkin