What's eating my RAM?

Sled208

Reaction score
I've been suspect of my phone slowing down a little lately and so I went and got an app to help me find the source of the problem. I downloaded "Android System Info" by ElectricSheep and noticed that it says I have a Maximum of 476 (I assume MB) of ram and I only have 144 of those free so I have 30% RAM available. I can run the task killer and get it up as high as 41% but I'm thinking I should be rolling with 60%+ at all times!

Here's what I have downloaded for Apps:

Google Earth
Android System Info
Snowflakes Live Wallpaper
Mobile Banking
CamCard Lite
QRky Barcode Scanner
Shazam
Gesture Search
Gesture Search Bar
MotoTorch LED
Bubble
Pandora Radio
eBay
USA Today
TV.com
Jorte
Advanced Task Killer
Weatherbug
Weatherbug Locator
Google Maps
V Cast Media Manager
Google Goggles
ShopSavvy Barcode Scanner
Ringdroid
Google Sky Map
Classic Ringtones
Loan Analyzer
FreeCaddie Golf GPS

Is this just simply too much for the phone to handle? I would assume that if it was it would have the greatest effect on the internal memory and I have 93% free on that. Maybe this is a normal level of RAM?

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I did not write this. It came from Google Devs:

Android was designed from the ground up as an operating system (OS) for mobile devices. Its built-in application and memory-management systems were engineered with battery life as one of the most critical concerns.
The Android OS does not work like a desktop operating system. On a desktop OS, like Windows, Mac OS X, or Ubuntu Linux, the user is responsible for closing programs in order to keep a reasonable amount of memory available. On Android, this is not the case. The OS itself automatically removes programs from memory as memory is needed. The OS may also preload applications into memory which it thinks might soon be needed.
Having lots of available empty memory is not a good thing. It takes the same amount of power to hold "nothing" in memory as it does to hold actual data. So, like every other operating system in use today, Android does its best to keep as much important/likely-to-be-used information in memory as possible.
As such, using a task manager/killer to constantly clear memory by killing apps is strongly NOT RECOMMENDED. Generally speaking, you should only "End" applications if you see one which is not working correctly.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
GOOGLE Developers said:
As such, using a task manager/killer to constantly clear memory by killing apps is strongly NOT RECOMMENDED. Generally speaking, you should only "End" applications if you see one which is not working correctly.

I re-quoted the important part....Get rid of the Task Killer..

OP
S

Sled208

Reaction score
That is funny you mention that because I was most suspect of the task killer but it seems like such a popular item that I didn't wanna get flamed by the droid population by saying that. I'll give that a try. :rockon:

OP
S

Sled208

Reaction score
Well, I never would have believed it but my droid seems HAPPIER with 10% available RAM than with 41% RAM.

SighAndroid

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
hTC One m7
Damn the developers answer, that doesn't explain when a gig of ram gets eaten up by something other than apps, then apps that you want running start closing. Googles memory management policy is wrong.

Windows 7 has disk cache & program (second) guessing too, but you can actually disable it & it works better disabled.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Damn the developers answer, that doesn't explain when a gig of ram gets eaten up by something other than apps, then apps that you want running start closing. Googles memory management policy is wrong.

Windows 7 has disk cache & program (second) guessing too, but you can actually disable it & it works better disabled.
If you're on lollipop, there's a documented memory leak that hasn't been plugged.

SighAndroid

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
hTC One m7
If you're on lollipop, there's a documented memory leak that hasn't been plugged.
4.4.2. It could be anything, custom rom, xposed module, tasker, play services update. Whatever it is running and cached apps don't anywhere near account for ram usage, and androids managememt shouldn't be giving priority to a leak & terminating running apps.

alicia78

Banned
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SamSung S5
Well I think its Advanced Task Killer and Snowflakes Live Wallpaper

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Well I think its Advanced Task Killer and Snowflakes Live Wallpaper
These two would definitely be large contributors. You don't need a task killer and live wallpapers have always been resource hogs. Get rid of them both and see how that works for ya.

S5 tap'n