Why Dual Core is TODAYS technology.

Having to keep a device for two years... I'd rather have technology in my device at the time of purchase that hasn't yet met it's full potential. This, IMO will help delay the EOL for the device. :)
Or you could just get the one with the unlocked bootloader and not have to worry about when Verizon considers the EOL to be....

Just sayin...

Here is to hoping it remains unlocked, nothing is keeping htc or vzw for sending an ota to lock and encrypt it.
I'll hedge my bets with the manufacturer who openly released their Kernel Source Code to the public, like HTC did with the Thunderbolt, as opposed to the one who is trying everything they can to make sure theirs is as locked down as it can possibly be.

For that reason, I can't imagine HTC releasing an OTA to lock the bootloader, or ever allowing Verizon to do the same.

^Moto does the same thing with its kernel, Samsung, and probably every other Android phone manufacture.

Only difference is Moto and the encrypted bootloader. And a phone with an unlocked bootloader doesnt help you replace the hardware, only the software. Yea Froyo breathed new life into the Droid 1. Eventually you here ppl here n there talking about wishing it had more Ram for lil issues they are running into. Or if it couldnt be overclocked they dont know if they woulda kept it this long comparing it to other phones thats out now.

Take a phone that is fast enough already that one probably wouldnt even need to overclock it or worry about Ram, and see how much a encrypted bootloader makes a difference. Put it like this: after using my Droid X, and I still have my Droid 1, my X is my main phone. Both were running Froyo. Only difference between the 2 was hardware. I HAD to overclock and tweak it to get close to the performance of my X out the box. I just started putting the limited ROMs the Droid X has on my phone in the past few months. And I have yet to overclock it. I dont feel I need to.

To put all this in perspective, some ppl think the X was a marginal upgrade from the Droid 1.

Last edited:
Can someone tell me how a thread about chip architecture turns into a debate on bootloaders and kernel source code??

Stay on topic please.

Sent from somewhere...

I've said this since people started debating whether or not dual-core will have any positive effects on non-optimized apps.

The answer is YES, it will have somewhat of an effect due to the fact that Android is a linux-based OS, and Linux by nature is multiprocessor aware. The OS is capable of dividing tasks up between the cores, just like Windows is in the PC world.

However, when the apps are recoded to be truly multithreaded, the multicore benefit will be even more evident.

Or you could just get the one with the unlocked bootloader and not have to worry about when Verizon considers the EOL to be....

Just sayin...

Here is to hoping it remains unlocked, nothing is keeping htc or vzw for sending an ota to lock and encrypt it.
I'll hedge my bets with the manufacturer who openly released their Kernel Source Code to the public, like HTC did with the Thunderbolt, as opposed to the one who is trying everything they can to make sure theirs is as locked down as it can possibly be.

For that reason, I can't imagine HTC releasing an OTA to lock the bootloader, or ever allowing Verizon to do the same.

You're not understanding the difference between kernels and bootloaders. All manufacturers release their kernel source code. The kernel cannot be proprietary or closed source per the android license.

https://opensource.motorola.com/sf/...droidx_source.shado_x3_1_13_5_10?pubid=987654

There's the kernel code for the Droid x. I agree with everyone here that says hardware is more important...because it is. The truth is no one cares about unlocked bootloaders except the few people that actually ROM and root. The Bionic will be a better phone compared to the Thunderbolt, simply because it has better hardware. Using ROM-ing as a selling point doesn't really work anymore.

Back