Will an iPhone 3 AC adapter fry my Droid?

Leonius

The other day I found my old AC adapter for my old iPhone, and figured since it uses a USB connector it would charge my Droid phone. I usually charge my Droid overnight on my PC. Well I plugged it into the little white cube and it changed to charged fast. I chalked it up to it putting out more power than my PC's USB port, but now its tanked to no battery crazy fast.

Did I screw the pooch? Or is my battery indicator just not quite calibrated right because the change in charge time (and new cyanogen build)?

jbdow

I wouldn't use it again until you find if the output is the same as what's required.
my d2g is 5v 850ma (milliamps) the ma out can be little more-the device will draw
only what's needed. but any less ma might be a problem. And you certainly don't
want any higher than the required voltage. best to continue using the pc...
or buy the charger made by the phone maker (imnsho)

r, john

OP
L

Leonius

Misplaced it ages ago. Its said 5% battery for ages so I think it was mostly a calibration error. Ill still be doing more research into it later as my upgrade is almost up.

EDIT: Just got home. The little white Iphone3 cube says 5v -- 1A
EDIT2: One of these:
http://www.iphonebuzz.com/iphone-3g-ac-adapter-recalled-over-electrocution-fears-194748.php
though I don't plan on snapping the prongs off in the wall like an idiot. Just found my d1 charger thinger actually. wootles. Whelp I don't think the 150mA difference wouldve killed it, but now I won't have to find out :D
Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Last edited:

jbdow

uh, yeah, if i had known of the battery indicator issue as being pre-existing
i would not have connected it with this event - but independent of that i
think it's a good idea to get the correct charger - no investigation on that is
really neccesary...

takeshi

Silver Member
I usually charge my Droid overnight on my PC. Well I plugged it into the little white cube and it changed to charged fast. I chalked it up to it putting out more power than my PC's USB port, but now its tanked to no battery crazy fast.
EDIT: Just got home. The little white Iphone3 cube says 5v -- 1A
USB is 500mA. That's why the iPhone adapter was faster. More mA = less charge time. As for the drain, that's unrelated.

I wouldn't use it again until you find if the output is the same as what's required.
my d2g is 5v 850ma (milliamps) the ma out can be little more-the device will draw
only what's needed. but any less ma might be a problem.
Less is slower. OP can charge via USB @ 500mA. I'm not sure what the floor is but under a certain point the battery just can't charge.

Whelp I don't think the 150mA difference wouldve killed it, but now I won't have to find out :D
It's not an issue. The phone will draw what it needs.

Last edited:

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
I have a griffin USB wall charger that I can plug the droid USB cable into to charge my phone and it puts out 1000mA and I can charge up for just around an hour from a dead batery and its fully charged. Same thing with my rapid rate moto car charger and I can last between 14-18 hours of normal usage. Which for me I stream Pandora, browser, droidforums app, voice calls, texts/email. I hope this can help. Setcpu also helps with battery and CPU heat which will drain the battery also

Sent from my rooted D2