xt910 WILL NOT CHARGE. period.

NinJette

Reaction score
I bought this phone BRAND NEW on ebay, after waiting for three weeks for it to be delivered, I finally got it today. Opened it up, stuck it on the charger it came with, and waited....and waited.....and waited some more. Nothing happens, it will not charge. Not even one puny little percent. I plugged it into my laptop and no charge there either. Just a lot of pop ups asking if i would like to install. No thanks. So I don't know what else to do. Please someone help me. I paid $200 for this phone, and made sure it would work with Straight Talk, and waited forever to get it... I was so excited and now I'm stuck. This always happens... Thank you in advance to anyone who can help.

i've seen other posts where people have the same problem but they are all people who have rooted or bricked (or both) their phones. I haven't done anything to mine. I was thinking about rooting it but now its not exactly a priority i just want it to WORK...

Droidlynn

Reaction score
Do you have the original Motorola cable? some Droids are picky about what cord they want to charge from. Idk why because its all the same juice. My Razr HD will only charge from its 2 Motorola cables. If the battery is drained completley, it will show a green notification light until its had enough juice to boot up. You could be using a bad cord. If you have more than one usb cord try using the other ones to see what works for it

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I bought this phone BRAND NEW on ebay, after waiting for three weeks for it to be delivered, I finally got it today. Opened it up, stuck it on the charger it came with, and waited....and waited.....and waited some more. Nothing happens, it will not charge. Not even one puny little percent. I plugged it into my laptop and no charge there either. Just a lot of pop ups asking if i would like to install. No thanks. So I don't know what else to do. Please someone help me. I paid $200 for this phone, and made sure it would work with Straight Talk, and waited forever to get it... I was so excited and now I'm stuck. This always happens... Thank you in advance to anyone who can help.

i've seen other posts where people have the same problem but they are all people who have rooted or bricked (or both) their phones. I haven't done anything to mine. I was thinking about rooting it but now its not exactly a priority i just want it to WORK...

I'd like to add that if the laptop responded with questions about installing the device then the USB system in the computer is seeing the phone as a device...this is something it wouldn't normally do unless the phone was on and operational, so that's really strange.

I second the comments above by Droidlynn, in that the Motorola phones, and perhaps to a considerably lesser extent other manufacturer's phones are rather picky about what cable is used. This may seem counterintuitive since the cable is a "USB" cable, however USB as a protocol doesn't automatically mean that the cable is also USB Charging protocol compatible. Likewise, just because the phone has a USB port and can communicate via USB for data doesn't mean the phone actually follows the USB Charging protocol to a T either.

Manufacturers may use their own proprietary cable for many reasons, some perhaps to keep you tied to their charger/adapter and thereby guarantee some level of future profitability through additional sales of chargers and cables going forward, however I argue that most reasons are for performance and warranty protection issues. In performance, there can be certain pin combinations on the cable that are "signaled" by the application of a resistor between them, which then tells the phone that you are using their cable as opposed to someone else's. This is NOT ONLY so with Motorola phones. I have a de-commissioned Samsung Galaxy S4 which will not work to charge with several "standard" USB cables, including two which came with my portable backup battery. The phone simply doesn't respond at all when plugged in with those cables, however I have other "standard" USB cables that it works fine with...go figure.

There should really be no issues as you describe if you are using a Motorola Data/Charging USB cable, even if in combination with a non-Motorola wall adapter. As long as the adapter provides a relatively clean 5V at no less than lets say, 750mAh, you should be good to go. Still, I am a HUGE advocate of the right cable and the right charger for the right phone. I ONLY use Motorola components when connecting to my Motorola Droid MAXX, except with respect to the RAV Portable Power Bank. Since the RAV is a battery powered charger, I am very comfortable using it to charge and power my phone, because the voltage and power should be very stable and clean coming from DC batteries as opposed to coming from an AC power source.

My recommendation is to make sure you're using a Motorola USB Data/Charging cable like the one below. If using that cable, the phone will still not charge, then I would point to a possible failure of the charging circuit of the phone, or to a battery that has been in storage (New/Old Stock - on the shelf in the warehouse), for too long and has self-discharged below the level that would allow it to start the charging circuit of the phone. You may have to open the RAZR and "jump start" the battery by directly connecting the battery terminals to a stripped USB charging cable, or purchase a Motorola Factory Programming Cable (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...=6C4-XmHDboRKLHxHym7cpQ&bvm=bv.61535280,d.cWc or https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...=v2WyVU6wW00XpsTp1UfZbA&bvm=bv.61535280,d.cWc). These special Programming cables provide voltage to the battery via an otherwise un-used pin number 4, that bypasses the phone's built-in charging and protection circuitry and allows the battery to receive the voltage directly. Once plugged in or jumpered this way, let it sit on that charger for no more than 30 minutes at a time, and after each attempt of 30 minutes, try connecting the phone to a charger under the normal method, until the phone responds as expected. If you're successful, then leave the phone on the charger for no less than 5.5 hours for the RAZR MAXX, or 3.5 hours for the RAZR.

Droidlynn

Reaction score
The Razr parts are not user accesssible so please keep in mind that you will lose your warrnty if you take it apart. The Razr is hard to take apart and put back together. Ive stripped wires before to get my DROIDX battery to charge before. I would recommend sending it to Moto for repair rather than risking further damage to you or the Razr itself.

OP
N

NinJette

Reaction score
Jumpering risk

The Razr parts are not user accesssible so please keep in mind that you will lose your warrnty if you take it apart. The Razr is hard to take apart and put back together. Ive stripped wires before to get my DROIDX battery to charge before. I would recommend sending it to Moto for repair rather than risking further damage to you or the Razr itself.

I have already briefly considered taking the phone apart and jump starting the battery, thanks to FoxKat's posts on other threads of a similar nature. However, the warranty voiding is what gets me. I don't trust myself enough to pull this off successfully so I think I'm just going to return the phone for a replacement.

I ordered the phone online thru eBay from a seller named gsmsimfreephones... (Yes I know that gsm and sim free used in the same sentence should have been a red flag but did I listen?) I have already contacted the seller and explained the problem, they said I could return for full replacement. Which is fine and dandy I suppose, EXCEPT for the tinyfact that I activated the phone on straight talk with a paid for 30-day card... Before the phone died and I couldn't charge it. This is where I need help now.

How to possibly stall my service that will otherwise be wasted while awaiting the replacement phone. I'd also like to get my Google info off the device before shipping it off. The gsmsimfreephones support person said totryvto fast boot flash menu it by holding the power and volume down buttons simultaneously but that doesn't seem to work.

Also in response to the suggestion of using different USB cables: I have done this. The "Motorola" charger (adapter and USB) that the phone came with appear to be fake. To my understanding most Motorola USNS and adapters have the same model number- this on is totally different. Not to mention the fact that the sticker does not say Motorola anywhere on it. This is the first cable I used. I've had several Motorola phones between my hubby and I, and had several to chose from while experimenting with the different cables. Samsung too. Also bought a rapid car charger and once the phone was dead and it was the only one that would at least keep the screen where I could touch he power button and the liquid battery display pops up. But it always says either zero or five percent.

As depressing as it is, I've pretty much accepted that its an internal problem. Like circuit board or bad battery.

Droidlynn

Reaction score
I'm sorry that you have to return it. Taking it apart is risky as I mentioned above so I think you're doing the right thing. I bought my RAZR off ebay and its worked well for me. It sounds like its a hardware issue

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I do wish to mention that although you may have bought a "brand new" phone, it appears the "dealer" is not an Authorized Verizon Dealer, and so the phone would likely not be covered under warranty anyway. The only phones covered under warranty are those bought from Authorized Verizon Dealers, or from Verizon Wireless Phone Center Stores, or those bought directly from Motorola. This way, both Verizon and Motorola are protected from third party "knock-off" devices, third-party accessories that may cause damage to the primary item - such as a third part charger that is incompatible or defective/poor quality, "b-stock" - items that were either actually used but are being sold as "new", or were refurbished and came with a new warranty but are being sold through illegitimate channels, "loaners" (items which were given to employees to use), etc.

In other words, just because someone says something is "new" doesn't mean it is actually treated as new by the manufacturer or authorized dealers/service centers. Most times, they require you to provide proof of purchase, and they will only honor the warranty on those items bought through the proper channels. Think of it this way...warranty is like insurance (in fact manufacturers often purchase insurance to protect themselves from excess losses due to unexpected warranty claims), and as such they will be very specific about what they will cover under the warranty as each item repaired or replaced is a hit to the bottom line profits of the corporation. If the problem is "A manufacturing defect in materials or workmanship", it will be covered, however if it is determined the damage is not related to a defect or failure due to manufacturing (such as dunking in the pool), it will be denied coverage.

Same holds true for devices which have passed through "other" non-authorized hands before arriving in the consumer's hands. The manufacturer can't control how those items are handled, can't be sure it's not a used phone that's been "refurbished" by a third party, and so any failures in the future could be attributed to the non-authorized third hands it traveled through, and so not covered under warranty. Ask yourself if Motorola or Verizon should be responsible for repairing or replacing a device that someone else sold you, and which came with a non-OEM charger - and which now doesn't take a charge?

Your best bet may be to return it for a refund rather than replaced, and simply buy it from a reputable dealer instead. The old adage, "you get what you pay for", usually holds true.

Last edited: