1st time needing help. Internal Phone Storage issue.

lillitnn92

Reaction score
OK, this is really bugging me. I have a stock DroidX, little over 1 year old. I'm a minimalist, so I've never had a stockpile of apps or music/photos/videos. I always maintained a few gigs worth of free space on internal storage. A few days ago I got a "Low Internal Storage" notification. I know this is not right. In my attempt to figure where I lost a few gigs of space, I went and deleted all 10 videos I had, all 256 tracks of music and some apps. I now have under 160 apps and about 20 of those have been moved to SD card. Under 80 photos and no videos or music now. I've searched and searched for possible other similar stories. I've seen the Market app cache fix and a few other things that did nothing. What in gods name has taken me from 3 to maybe 4 gigs of free internal storage to 750MB? I am no where near a heavy user.

Normally I can fix all my issues, but this one is blowing my mind. Help?

Wow, I thought I had a lot of apps at 30ish, but 160?!

Even when you move them to the SD card they still store some files on the internal storage, so moving them doesn't completely stop them from taking up space. You could try clearing the system cache.

To clear the system cache, reboot into recovery by shutting the phone off and then holding the power button plus the camera and home buttons until an android in a triangle appears. When that happens, enter recovery by pressing both volume buttons. Then use the volume buttons to navigate and the power button to select and wipe the system cache (don't wipe data/factory reset). Don't worry, this won't change anything on your phone. No guarantee that this will fix anything but it's worth a shot.

Did it. Didn't do a thing, but thanks, it was something else to try at least. I'm thinking about just resetting it and starting over. My friend has the same phone, he's got more stuff than I do and he's still got his free space in 2 or more gigs. Something has filled this space, but can't find how/where.

Did it. Didn't do a thing, but thanks, it was something else to try at least. I'm thinking about just resetting it and starting over. My friend has the same phone, he's got more stuff than I do and he's still got his free space in 2 or more gigs. Something has filled this space, but can't find how/where.

Didn't think it would but it's always worth a shot. I can't imagine what would be taking up that much space though

You might try a factory data reset. And start fresh. See if that helps.

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

I think it may be the number of apps on the phone that is taking up the space and using resources. Most apps reside on the phone's internal storage and there is a set amount of dedicated space on the internal storage for the apps. Not sure if the following will help you diagnose if it is the # of apps or not...comparing my Razr Maxx storage with 170 apps w the droid x.
-The Razr has a total of 8gb internal storage and 3gb internal storage dedicated for apps. with 170 apps, I am using 1.19 gb with 1.81 left.
-The DX has 6.5gb internal phone storage. If it dedicates 5gb to Android services then it may only have 1.5 gb dedicated to apps. Chances are 160 apps are using approximately 1.12gb, leaving you approximately 0.38gb left.
-The other huge thing that determines the resources available to run the apps and functions of your phone is the ram. The Maxx has 1gb ram compared to 518mb for the X. Even with 1gb ram, there have been times where I have had too many things going on with my phone that it started to get sluggish and I had to close out some apps.

Try going through your apps and uninstall the ones you don't use or need. Or the best option but the most work is to do a factory data reset and only add the apps that you need. Save any music and pics to your external SD card before doing the FDR.

When you add back your music and pics place them on your external SD card instead of your internal phone storage.

Best of luck. I remember going through this with my rooted og droid.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

But that's the question. I had more apps a month ago than I do now and I had all that free space at that time. Then out of nowhere, low storage. I feel as if something has started sucking the space up, but I can't find what. I'll keep looking, but at some point I think I will just do a reset and start fresh.

You already booted into recovery right? So yeah unfortunately that may be your only.option

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

It could be just one app that is using tons of resources. On my og droid I stopped using dolphin because even though the app did not take up that much space, it used allot of memory...my guess is that it is a memory hungry app. A recently updated app can start to use more memory when it didn't in the past. Many possibilities. Clearing cache and data on your apps may get you back to normal also.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

So, I did the reset today. I've installed almost all the apps I had right before the reset. When I got to storage, it says 5.89GB free, not the 820MB it said before. So whatever was sucking up that space is gone. I knew I wasn't crazy.

Back