A thought about the Incredible advertising (or lack thereof)

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Looking back at this whole situation with the release of the Incredible, who else thinks this might possibly be quite a stroke of genius for Verizon? Look at t he situation. No advertising, no mention officially, nothing. Only leaks and rumors. Yet this phone has built up a following from internet forums and websites much akin to the iPhone situations of the past. There has been absolutely unbelievable amounts of advertising and building momentum without Verizon spending a dime. I'm not sure if that's truly the case, but it sure looks like it. If this truly was what they planned all along, someone should get one helluva bonus for the idea.

mrdroid

Reaction score
I'd like to see some numbers on what percentage of the total targeted market enthusiasts make up. The average Joe wouldn't really be aware of the device until he walked into Verizon and started playing around with the demo phones... I don't think the internet enthusiast market makes up a majority percentage but I could be wrong as I don't really know Verizon's target market for these types of devices.

OP
jkhonea

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
I was thinking about that, also. It really is hard to tell. What's interesting is I've noticed more than a few articles lately that were supposed to be about the iPhone making a lot of mention of the Incredible. That may have attracted a whole different group than who were originally looking for it. Hopefully it truly will release on the 25th or 29th. Would love to see some big sales and increase the Android marketshare. (As long as the sales hold off until I get my hands on one.) :D

The initial numbers should be interesting. With all of the Droid pre-advertising, this is curious with the lack thereof, but the large amount of Droid commercials probably had as much or more to do with the Android based phone as compared to the Droid itself. Mainly, establishing that there was about to be a new phone OS on the block.

mrdroid

Reaction score
Yea Droid advertising is essentially Android advertising since 90% of people that ask about it say something like "Which Droid do you have?" ... Um... there's only one. lol

What would be interesting is if current iPhone users who's contracts expire in the next month or so and are moving to Verizon in anticipation for Verizon iPhone find themselves with an Incredible and stick with it. It'd be hilarious if Apple's deciding to go to Verizon causes them to lose even more users.

OP
jkhonea

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
That's something I never thought about, but very possible. What I have been noticing is a lot more emphasis on the amount of apps available for Android. Looks like focus is shifting a little and really starting to go after Apple head to head.

Starting to see more things indicating that the full iPhone rollout for Verizon may not happen until the 4G is in place. Which wouldn't be terribly surprising. But everything I've seen and read about the Incredible has definitely gotten me looking forward to it.