Android turns off and starts TWRP after Lollipop update download

diegogodie06

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Moto E
Hello.

My system notified me about an update (5.1) so I downloaded it and when I selected to install the update the device turned off and booted into TWRP. Every time I restarted the device to the normal interface it restarted after some seconds and booted into TWRP.

I panicked, so I used the backup option on TWRP to backup my system, data and boot files. I couldn't find much information about my problem, so I used TWRP to wipe my data and then restore the previous backup. It completes the restore process but it returns to its previos state: it keeps turning off and booting into TWRP.

Is there a way to restore my backup and stop the device from turning off and booting into TWRP? I would like to keep the files I backuped.

The device is a Motorola Mote E and it is rooted.

Thanks for your help :)

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Welcome to the forum ...Rule #1 is never take an update while you are rooted and running custom recovery ...you need to find a stock zip you can install from TWRP ...it's possible that backups corrupted ..

6s Plus

Reactions: CJM
OP
D

diegogodie06

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Moto E
Thanks for your answer bkdodger. And yes I know it was a noob mistake, I have dealt with modified wiis and different consoles and there are the same basics, never take an update from the official sources.

I have already installed rom 5.1.1 from TWRP. How do I know if the previous backup is corrupted? Should I try to restore the data again?

I was wondering if there is a way to transfer TWRP backup to the PC and open it using a software maybe. Does something like that exist?

Thanks!

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Thanks for your answer bkdodger. And yes I know it was a noob mistake, I have dealt with modified wiis and different consoles and there are the same basics, never take an update from the official sources.

I have already installed rom 5.1.1 from TWRP. How do I know if the previous backup is corrupted? Should I try to restore the data again?

I was wondering if there is a way to transfer TWRP backup to the PC and open it using a software maybe. Does something like that exist?

Thanks!

If you want to try make a backup of the recent ROM and then see if you can restore that previous backup that failed ...if it won't restore really not much you can do but go back to latest ..

6s Plus

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
So you backed up after you attempted to install the official update? If so, something in the system is messed up and unless you have another backup of before the incident, you'll be stuck where you're at.

Do you have a backup you made recently?

Sent from my Nexus 6P

OP
D

diegogodie06

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Moto E
Yes I backed up after trying to install the official update. That's the only back up I have. I guess I will have to give up on restoring it. I can successfully restore it but when I do, the system reboots after few seconds and boots into TWRP.