Any benefit to reseting Droid to factory before going to 2.2?

DJRobNM

Reaction score
I've been thinking about deleting everything on the phone and returning it to factory before I do the 2.2 update.

Kinda like starting fresh with a new copy of windows.

Any benefit to this?

ujhony03

Reaction score
i didnt do this and had the battery drain and hot phone issue that people are having. I went ahead and reset to factory and let my apps download one at a time and no issues since. I personally recommend the factory reset .

jeepmonkey98

Reaction score
ummm I know this sounds dumb but where is the factory reset? I can't seem t find it

BLeClair12

Reaction score
I don't consider myself an expert, but it certainly couldn't hurt, as long as you don't mind setting everything up again.

I manually installed 2.2 last night and didn't factory reset. I had the "growing pain" issue for about a half hour, and the heating issue, but uninstalling and reinstalling Facebook (1.3.1) took care of that. No heating up, no battery issues, it's been running like a dream since this morning.

myriad46

Reaction score
Factory reset can be accomplished from the recovery screen also. That's the one where you would go to apply the update.

I also did a clean wipe before applying 2.2 and I didn't have any of the reported problems.

TopDroid

Reaction score
Quick question... If I do a factory reset, what will I loose? Will I loose apps, contacts, texts, etc? Ive been looking around for a answer but cant find one. I read that we have to go back and install each app again. Just a little detail about this would be awesome! Thanks!

myriad46

Reaction score
Contacts, emails and calendar entries are already backed up. Your phone just accesses them. What apps you've downloaded and paid for is saved but you'll have to reinstall. Text messages are not saved, but there are a lot of apps that can do it for you, so just do that before you reset. Phone logs will also be gone. Another thing that caught me by suprise is that you have to activate it over the phone like when you first got it. Just choose 1 and you'll be all set.

TopDroid

Reaction score
Contacts, emails and calendar entries are already backed up. Your phone just accesses them. What apps you've downloaded and paid for is saved but you'll have to reinstall. Text messages are not saved, but there are a lot of apps that can do it for you, so just do that before you reset. Phone logs will also be gone. Another thing that caught me by suprise is that you have to activate it over the phone like when you first got it. Just choose 1 and you'll be all set.

Hey man, Thanks!! I have a sms backup so that should save my texts. As for the activation, is it a hard process to follow? When I bought my droid back in December, the verizon guy did all that stuff for me. So youre saying its easy to re-activate it? just hit the "1" option and Im good to go?

xliderider

Reaction score
To activate, the phone will make the call to Verizon automatically, just press 1 during the announcement. If you ever had to manually call for programming/activation, dial *228, then press 1.

*228, option 2 will update your roaming capabilities and update your PRL (preferred roaming list) to the latest one. FYI, this is done automatically in the option 1 programming. Verizon advises you do a *228, option 2 every 60 t 90 days, as cell towers may have gone up or down in your area, to keep your PRL up to date.

myriad46

Reaction score
When you first boot up it will tell you that you have to activate. When you hit the button, it will call a number and ask you to hit 1 to activate or 2 to update roaming capabilities. This is the same thing that you would get by dialing *228. Just press 1 when it asks and wait a few seconds. It hangs up on its own