Any reason to have cold feet?

kookk

Reaction score
My upgrade is in 6 days and I've started geting cold feet about the gnex.

I'm worried about these things

Battery - I know you can root and make it last a lot longer but I'm not famiar wwith rooting the gnex.

Signal - obviously a phone without a signal isn't a phone

Screen - I've heard the screen get pixelated or something if it isn't on the highest setting

Camera - I'm not a photographer or anything, but 5mp sounds iffy

Size - I have a TB now so I'm five with big phones, but I held a gnex dummy and it felt awkward. I'm hoping just because it has a tether and plastic housing on the back

I also just worried a much better phone is around the corner. The main reason I'm interested in it is because its vanilla

Can anyone help calm these worries from your experiennce?

Sent from my cyanobolt

Insidious

Reaction score
I think you'll be really happy with it, but I personally think the Rezound is the most solid choice.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

captdroid

Reaction score

Battery - I know you can root and make it last a lot longer but I'm not famiar wwith rooting the gnex.

Screen - I've heard the screen get pixelated or something if it isn't on the highest setting

Size - I have a TB now so I'm five with big phones, but I held a gnex dummy and it felt awkward. I'm hoping just because it has a tether and plastic housing on the back

I also just worried a much better phone is around the corner. The main reason I'm interested in it is because its vanilla

Sent from my cyanobolt

I don't have any problems with what you mentioned. In particular now that 4.0.4 is available my Gnex runs better then ever. Give it a try you may stay a while :D

kmo

Reaction score
Depends on what you're looking for. "Solid" or a device that you can unlock/root (with ICS) and tinker with. IMHO this is not a hard choice to make...DancingNexus Personally, I have almost none of the issues you're worried about. My camera takes good pictures, I have no signal/data issue, my screen is gorgeous, battery ehh it's Android (I just bought an extra battery, problem solved.)Plus the fact is a lot of the new 4G/LTE phones are having some issue due to the 4G not being up to speed yet. So all these problems may not be just the phone but the network. If I had to pick something to complain about, my in ear call and speaker volumes were a bit low (stock) but now that I'm unlocked and rooted there are some fixes for that. I love to tinker and play with aftermarket development and this device has all that in a big way. If that's not your thing then maybe go with something else, instead of the Rezound (good device) I'd be looking at the Droid Razr or Razr Maxx....just my .02 cents. This is a great device rooted or not but I think the whole point for me and the GNexus was the ease of unlocking and rooting. I have a phone with full access to controls that I can tailor to my needs....Nothing is perfect. It's all about what your daily needs are. Good luck deciding.....

hydro556

Reaction score
I think you'll be really happy with it, but I personally think the Rezound is the most solid choice.

I think he'd be happy with the Rezound, but that the GNex is the most solid choice. Even if he werent interested in the Vanilla experience as he mentioned in his OP.

After haing the GNex for awhile, in the days leading up to the Jan 15 cut off dates for returning it, I looked really hard at the Rezound, trying to talk myself into swapping the GNex for it. I just couldnt convince myself to let the Nexus go. The better screen, the pure Android experience, the much more fresh and modern look etc, etc. all add up to make the Nexus the better device in my opinion. Plus, it is Googles pet.

Either one is a fine device, but I think the Nexus is just better all around.

Insidious

Reaction score
Like KMO said, if you're looking for a rooting and tweaking experience then the Nexus or Rezound is your best bet. If you want great battery life paired with killer hardware, and a slim profile go for the Razr Maxx. I know you'll here this alot but you honestly can't go wrong with any of the phones. Whichever one YOU feel will suit your needs best is the phone you should choose. You're married to it for two years, so pick something you like, not something that other people like.

Syraz

Reaction score
Honestly don't worry..I have had NONE of the problems you mentioned. Its a solid awesome slick sweet phone. Rezound was my 2nd choice. BOTH IMO are great phones. I just wanted to more developement that came with the Gnex.
remember this if a customer has a good experiance they tell a couple people IF THAT, if they have a bad experiance they tell EVERYONE. So little things can get blown out of porportion very easily. I work in the hospitality industry and know this all too well, but it relates everywhere

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
You got 14 days to return it if you don't like it. Should be plenty of time to determine if you like it.

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Sent from my cyanobolt

I get great battery life and have no real signal issues (rooted and have the latest radios installed - usually around -75 dbm). If you're looking for vanilla android, and want an open device, the GNex is it, IMO. Personally, I really like the build and how it feels in my hand. Camera is just fine for me, but I'm not really a camera guy.

As far as a better phone coming along, the only thing that has really caught my eye is the rumor of a new GNex with the OMAP 4470. That might be worth waiting for, but beyond that I couldn't be happier with this device. Unlocking and rooting is a snap (especially with WugFresh's tool kit). After that, not much you can't do.

OP
K

kookk

Reaction score
Well I think you guys have reassured me enough haha.

I always tell myself I wont root and rom but I always end up doing it anyways after a few weeks.

Sent from my cyanobolt