Apps won't update

farawaydeb

Reaction score
They load completely, according to the little bar that goes across the screen, but then they won't install.

I installed the Amazon App store thing this morning, but it won't install the free birds game, it keeps saying "application not installed."

I have 1.43 GB of available storage on my SD card, but only 860 MB on the phone itself, could that be the problem?

I don't think memory is the culprit. Have you tried doing each update manually? I have the same issue as you when I hit Update All when there a bunch of updates.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

Yes, unfortunately they also won't update manually or individually.

I wonder if this is something that will work later, even though it doesn't seem to work right now?

No, I don't know how to do that.

It says "your item will be downloaded" and it downloads, but when I click on "install" it says install failed. I've never had a problem before today.

homescreen>menu key>settings>applications>manage>all tab>market>clear data.

Uninstall the Amazon and Market apps and reinstall just the market app first and see if you can successfully update.

Amazon App Store

I'm having the same issue. Does anybody have a fix for this problem?

Fix to problems with app updates not installing

I've had this same problem myself twice in the last six months. If it is only a few specific apps having problems with updates not installing, then at some point in the past an update was being conducted but was interrupted. You now have a temp file in one of your phone's secure folders that is messing up your apps' update process.

Connect your phone to your computer via a USB cable and explore your phone's drive just like a computer folder. Look inside your phone's drive for a folder named ".android_secure". Inside that folder, you will see files with the extension of *.asec. You may see the names (or derivatives of the names) of your apps inside each of the file names. Look for one with "tmp" somewhere in the file name. This file (like your computer when you download patches and updates) is a temporary file that store all the downloading information until the installation process begins. If the data is corrupted or interrupted, then whichever apps were updating at that time will not install properly because the phone recognizes this file for those applications (which we now know is not complete).

Delete this file (if you are unsure if it's the right one, make sure to save it somewhere first, although it should be the only file with "tmp" in it) and you should be good to go. I actually just had my latest install problem cleared this morning by doing this. The six or seven apps giving me problems for the last couple of weeks installed their updates the next time with no problems.

Good luck! dancedroid

Happens to me if I move a app to the sd card and the app is looking for it to be installed on the device.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums

Back