Battery Lasts all Day, Dies When I'm Asleep & After Full Charge

ridobe

Reaction score
another thing you can do to narrow your problem would be to turn wifi on while you sleep tonight, see if that will effect the battery drainage... when your connected to wifi your phone will stop searching the network.

I had the same problem as the OP. I have no idea why wifi is effected by the data being on and searching. FYI: I have the sleep policy to never. Here is what I posted in another forum:

Originally Posted by seandalton0 Wow, so just for giggles I installed that widget to see what I was getting at my desk, and it was running around 380-410mA, turned on the wifi (which also disables mobile data) and I'm down to 150-160mA immediately.

I'm going to enable logging and keep an eye on this now. Thanks for the info!
Ok. Here is where I have a problem. Everybody knows this right? Well, I thought I was having problems with my wifi. It drained my battery down to zero every night no matter what the battery was. With my Dinc I ran wifi (Y5 - so it was automatic as soon as I walked in the door) and the battery life at home was GREAT. Well, not so with my TB. I did notice however that I am on the fringe of 4G/3G as I am on the outskirts of Cincinnati. When I was on data it would bounce back and forth between 4G/3G. So, what I've tried is using the LTE on/off widget I turn it to 3G only when I get home and voila! my battery life is supurb with only about a 5% drop overnight max. This is while I'm on wifi. Why in the world should I have to regulate the data type while I'm on wifi?

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
... this forum will argue anything. Leaving it plugged: in uses more power, which uses electricity, which is cheap thanks to coal, which is bad for the environment. It's not much in a month but 20 years of doing that is a lot of waste. I have an energy monitor in my house with timed sockets; this saved me more power then the other 9k we dropped on the house last year to make it *green*.

That's what forums are for eh? :) I've read a lot about having timed sockets and what not, and how much energy that actually does save. I agree with you that unplugging things from sockets will save energy. It would be cool to have a house with energy monitors. No offense meant.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
another thing you can do to narrow your problem would be to turn wifi on while you sleep tonight, see if that will effect the battery drainage... when your connected to wifi your phone will stop searching the network.

I had the same problem as the OP. I have no idea why wifi is effected by the data being on and searching. FYI: I have the sleep policy to never. Here is what I posted in another forum:

Originally Posted by seandalton0 Wow, so just for giggles I installed that widget to see what I was getting at my desk, and it was running around 380-410mA, turned on the wifi (which also disables mobile data) and I'm down to 150-160mA immediately.

I'm going to enable logging and keep an eye on this now. Thanks for the info!
Ok. Here is where I have a problem. Everybody knows this right? Well, I thought I was having problems with my wifi. It drained my battery down to zero every night no matter what the battery was. With my Dinc I ran wifi (Y5 - so it was automatic as soon as I walked in the door) and the battery life at home was GREAT. Well, not so with my TB. I did notice however that I am on the fringe of 4G/3G as I am on the outskirts of Cincinnati. When I was on data it would bounce back and forth between 4G/3G. So, what I've tried is using the LTE on/off widget I turn it to 3G only when I get home and voila! my battery life is supurb with only about a 5% drop overnight max. This is while I'm on wifi. Why in the world should I have to regulate the data type while I'm on wifi?

My OG Droid will go from full battery down to about 20% in 5 hours if I leave it on WiFi. Since my OG Droid could never keep an internet connection via WiFi I never used it. My Thunderbolt is exactly the opposite. The battery drain on WiFi is a bit more than 3G/4G for me but not a ton more. Go to your WiFi Settings. Go to Menu --> Advanced and see if "Best WiFi Performance" is checked. I set the sleep policy to Never on my Droid 1 and Thunderbolt. Obviously Droid 1 drains battery like crazy, Thunderbolt doesn't for me.

OP
King30Henrik35

King30Henrik35

Reaction score
As I said in my first post I turn WiFi off as well as the network (3g, 4g, etc.) when I go to sleep. I have a solid 3 bars for cell reception. When I do have the mobile network running at my house I have a solid 4g connection (I only live about 25 miles from NYC in NJ). I suppose I could leave it plugged in all night but the mere fact it lasts all day when I am actually using it, then it miraculously dies overnight with no use simply has me bamboozled.

ridobe

Reaction score
First thing to try is to put it in airplane mode for the night and see. When I did it was the first time it made it all night. I knew I had data problems at that point.

OP
King30Henrik35

King30Henrik35

Reaction score
*Update*

I went to the Verizon store today hoping to get an extended battery or even just a replacement stock battery.

When I walked in the woman at the kiosk asked what I was there for in order to put me on the wait list for help. I said I was there for a new battery for the Thunderbolt. She asked if I were going to buy it and I said "Yes, will I be able to get any sort of discount?" I had already told her my battery can barely make it 4 hours with EVERYTHING turned off. Her reply was classic

"No, your circumstances are normal, the battery is only supposed to last 4 hours on a single charge"

I then said "Even with everything turned off and not using the phone at all?"

"Yes"

I simply turned around and as I was walking out the door said I would call customer service everyday until I got a new battery for free.

I've called twice today so far. The first time, the woman just had me going through trouble shooting and said it was most like due to out of date software. She too replied in a similar fashion as the above mentioned woman to my comments of the phone being a waste of $300 and the 30-40 for data/month when I can't actually make use of all these features. I said I should have just gotten one of the free phones they offer that would allow me to text and make calls as well as not needing a data plan. She just went into a sales pitch about how powerful the phone is as well as the speed and power of 4g. She then went on to tell me how it has a rating of 3 out of 5 by customers using the phone and how great of a rating that is.

After hanging up I checked for software and I was running the most recent, so I called back and spoke to someone else. This time rather than just say I was having problems with battery life, I simply told the woman that the poor battery life was limiting my ability to use the phone as it is meant to be and repeated my bit about the waste of money on the phone and monthly data plan.

I now have a new stock battery on the way, free of charge, but only because the battery has a 1 year warranty. She said to call back if the new battery didn't solve my problems.

... For some reason I doubt this is the end of it...