Blank screen problems

Wahoodroider

Reaction score
I've looked at some other threads, but I can't find any recent ones with my particular problem except one from 2009-10. Wanted to see if anyone else is having this problem (or if there's a thread/fix I've missed in my searches).

I started having this problem the past week. Happened twice: suddenly the screen freezes and won't work, after rebooting the buttons are lit and alerts keep sounding off and I can take calls, but the screen is not working. I can see that the screen is on when I turn the lights off in the room, but no images show up.

Each time it took MANY battery pulls before it booted up correctly again (i.e., with the screen operating) -- the second time it took several days of trying.

Thsi seems different than other threads I've seen. This doesn't seem to be a battery problem -- I know the phone had plenty of juice the second time it happened. Also, not related to calls coming in. And the battery pull solution doesn't seem to work until the 100th try, which isn't very practical.

I just uninstalled most of my apps (esp. the most recent) to see if memory was an issue or if any of the apps were messing with the phone.

Anyone else out there is this problem?

OP
W

Wahoodroider

Reaction score
One possibility ...

... I'll add that I recently updated Google Maps. Anyone having this problem also do the same?

maljefe

Reaction score
i started having the same problem as you today, I took a shower and left my phone in my pocket so it got really steamy and i also dropped it in there so im not sure if either of those factors had an effect. and now when i put battery in the only thing i see is the back light but an all black screen, i still seem to get calls and messages because i get the notifications but i cant see or do anything on there.

OP
W

Wahoodroider

Reaction score
Dropsies

I've dropped mine a ton, but since my screen has been okay for 24 hours, I can't imagine that impact was a factor. I'm still okay since I cleaned up my app drawer.

Did you do the Google Maps update recently?

maljefe

Reaction score
yeah,but it was a couple of days ago, my phone is still not working. fml might have to get a new one

haltrout210

Reaction score
same problem!

Today I looked at my phone, and the screen was black. Everything will light up, and the notification light even works, but the screen is black. I took out the battery, I rebooted it (cntl, alt, dlt) and everything else i can think of. HELPPPPPP! I dont know what to do. I may go to the verizon store tomorrow..

OP
W

Wahoodroider

Reaction score
Update

My phone has been fine ever since my last post when I deleted a bunch of apps. I think there is/are some app/s out there that is causing this problem ... or its a space issues. So I either removed the offending app or I cleared up enough memory. I have a feeling that LauncherPro was part of the problem, but can't say for sure.

So, the solution appeared to be:
1. Keep doing the battery pull until you finally get the screen to fully work again -- this took a couple days for me.
2. Go in and get rid of the apps you don't use, esp. the big ones.

price0909

Reaction score
Black Screen

My 4th replacement Droid would black out every random once in awhile I thought bc of the sensor after a call. I would call Verizon and they would have me do a master reset once it came back on and told me to try no apps or load one in at a time and call back if it happens again. So Again i called and again i called and again they told me to call back if it happened again. Only this last time (one month later) the screen wont come back on at all and now I am out of warranty.
The phone works bc i was getting calls, the keyboard is lit and green light flashing and sounds. Just the screen is blacked out! Not due for a renew till June. I love the Droid but might make the switch to Iphone. WOrking off an old blackberry now.. (hate it!)