Bluetooth: Can't connect to Sony HWS-BTA2W (audio transmitter)

adiamond

Reaction score
I want to listen to my entertainment system's audio at night over my headphones. I thought I'd find a [COLOR=#812528 !important][COLOR=#812528 !important]wifi[/COLOR] app for that (just for redirect of audio not whole media etc like some apps do) but no such luck (airfoil does this I think but that's just for the [COLOR=#812528 !important][COLOR=#812528 !important]iphone[/COLOR][/COLOR]).

So, when I saw the Sony HWS-BTA2W that can transmit audio over bluetooth I figured that would do. I'd connect it to the receiver's headphone jack, put in into transmit mode, attach my headphones to the droid, connect the bluetooth and I'd be set.

Sounds great, unfortunately it won't connect. The droid says it can't communicate and the sony transmitter is remains waiting (blinking ==> waiting to connect). The [COLOR=#812528 !important][COLOR=#812528 !important]android[/COLOR][/COLOR] will settle on "paired but not connected" but I can never connect (and since the sony is blinking I think the supposed pairing is BS).

The transmitters manual says it only supports a bluetooth passkey of 0000 but I can't even figure out what the droid's passkey is. I have no idea how to even analyze this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
[/COLOR]

OP
A

adiamond

Reaction score
Not possible - no bluetooth transmitter

After talking to sony, I'm answering this for posterity (for people as ignorant as myself re bluetooth).

As Sony explained it to me, regardless of support for the A2DP profile, the HWS-BTA2W will never connect to the droid this way because I'm using the HWS-BTA2W as a transmitter and so the phone would need to be a bluetooth reciever but it's a bluetooth transmitter only.* I could get this to work with a bluetooth headset but of course I wouldn't need the phone for that; just another headset (something I wanted to avoid because a) I have headset b) it's a good one).

Oh well, learn something new anyway

* Even if it was a receiver, there migh be an issue with "forwarding" the sound to the wired headphones (attached to the droid's audio out) but that's moot .

OP
A

adiamond

Reaction score
Just ordered them

I thought I could avoid spending the extra money on a good pair of headphones. I already have a really good pair of headphones.

Anyway, I just ordered a Sony DRBT50 Stereo Bluetooth Headset
Looks like a real good deal for a pretty good pair of headphones.

I'll use them for both my entertainment system at night and my droid (because any jiggling of the wired headphone cord causes a disconnect and then I have to restart my music etc).

richietheb

Reaction score
It must be a Bluetooth receiver also?

After talking to sony, I'm answering this for posterity (for people as ignorant as myself re bluetooth).

As Sony explained it to me, regardless of support for the A2DP profile, the HWS-BTA2W will never connect to the droid this way because I'm using the HWS-BTA2W as a transmitter and so the phone would need to be a bluetooth reciever but it's a bluetooth transmitter only.* I could get this to work with a bluetooth headset but of course I wouldn't need the phone for that; just another headset (something I wanted to avoid because a) I have headset b) it's a good one).

Oh well, learn something new anyway

* Even if it was a receiver, there migh be an issue with "forwarding" the sound to the wired headphones (attached to the droid's audio out) but that's moot .

It must be a Bluetooth receiver if it picks up the mic on a headset?????....