Breaking out of force close loop

boathead

Reaction score
I was trying to flash CM7 (or any other ROM, for that matter) and everything goes fine until the system reboots with the changes. When the home screen comes up I get in an endless loop with the following force close message: " An unexpected error occured in something.android.phones". At this point the dialogue allows only 2 options: retry, which results in the same error; cancel, which results in the same error. The only other option is to do a reboot and remove the installation.
As I said, this happens when I try to install ANY ROM.
Question 1: what am i doing wrong?
Question 2: how do i break out of this loop without having to reboot? Is there a way.
The messages above are not exactly literal but they illustrate the general idea - I am paraphrasing for the most part.

Thanks

Which ROMs have you tried when you say this happens with any ROM?

How did you download and install those rom's?

Swyped from a Droid
Here's is my procedure when using ROM Manager:
1. Backup the existing ROM.
2. Download a ROM.
3. Install the ROM (wiping data and cache, always)
4. Reboot with new ROM

When the ROM boots, I swipe to unlock the device and then i enter into an infinite(?) loop and my dialing pad and phone service are unavailable (a most unacceptable situation, since I need to be able to make and receive calls while I experiment with any new ROM)

Rom manager is known to have issues. Try downloading your rom's to a pc then, using your usb, transfer them to your sd. Then flash them in recovery. If you dont have a pc, RM will work. You will just have to keep re-downloading rom's until one works. Other than that, all your other procedures look correct.

Swyped from a Droid

I'm having the *exact* same problem as you. Only, I'm on an HTC Desire.

I would love to know if you found/find a solution for this. I searched and asked about this in several places, but got nothing and only left a line of clueless fellows behind me... :(

Exact same deal. Tried to flash several different ROMs. My official rooted ROM works just fine.

Tried using my phone and tried my PC and then transfer to phone. I also checked the integrity of the roms by verifying the md5.

If your asking about breaking out of force close loops in general, then I do not have a graceful answer at this time (restart the process if you can, pull the battery if you must.,etc).
However, if you are asking about the particular force loop that I had, then this is how to AVOID it: DO NOT USE ROM MANAGER TO INSTALL ROMS. Boot directly into Recovery and then install your ROMS that way. If you follow what I am saying and this is clear then you are good to go; if not, write back and I will give you detailed instructions.

I'm asking about the exact same force close loop issue that you had.
Well, I never used rom manager. I always flashed the roms directly from recovery. But still every rom that I tried to flash, resulted in a force close loop.
Have you managed to avoid it?

Rom manager is known to have issues. Try downloading your rom's to a pc then, using your usb, transfer them to your sd. Then flash them in recovery. If you dont have a pc, RM will work. You will just have to keep re-downloading rom's until one works. Other than that, all your other procedures look correct.

Swyped from a Droid
Thanks Ill try this tonight. Im have the same problem as the OP and its pissing me the F off. haha

Back