Broken LCD and Stuck in Boot Loop

aggielswon

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo-Ballistic Nylon
Well, today I not only cracked my screen, but the LCD broke, and it is stuck in boot loop...

It cracked and i noticed the screen wouldn't turn on. I tried powering it on and off but it kept restarting. So for the past 5 hours it has been stuck in boot loop without a functioning screen.

I went to verizon and got my new phone on the way (thanks to the 1 free replacement), but I still would like to retrieve my pictures, videos, etc.. and thanks to the boot loop I can't plug it in to the computer..

Is there anyway I can get it out of boot loop with no screen??? What should I do??

Also, if I disassemble the phone, will it void the replacement? I want to take it apart to tinker with it but I'm afraid they will charge me the retail price if they see that it's been opened/tampered with.

Thanks in advance for the help!!

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
First, I would like to say how sorry I am that you have suffered this loss. I feel terrible for you. Unfortunately being stuck in a boot loop it's quite possibly due to a circuit internally that may be damaged as well - from the pressure and possible flexing of the motherboard due to the screen cracking. Even though the glass of the screen and LCD are brittle, they are also very strong from a tortion aspect and so they actually give additional strength to the case and chassis and help protect the motherboard from damage from flex.

When the screen and LCD were destroyed, any strength the sheets of glass were lending to the case is now mostly gone, and so the pressure that caused the screen to crack may also have caused the motherboard to be damaged. If you did try to take it apart, you might have success with repairing it by replacing the LCD and then getting it to boot properly allowing you to retrieve the data, however your efforts may be futile.

I would wish to suggest that going forward you set up a cloud backup such as Google Drive or another and have it set to sync all pictures and video automatically. At least in the future you won't suffer such loss of irreplaceable data.

As far as the warranty, if you open the phone they will know it, and they MIGHT decide that it was sufficient to void the warranty replacement, but even so, you may have no success in repairing it and you'd have to have a new LCD to even try. Those are EXPENSIVE, and I don't even know if you can get them yet (haven't done the research). I would kiss this off to experience and don't make the same mistakes twice.

Finally, if you were carrying the phone in your back pocket please change to a shirt pocket or a belt clip going forward as the one-time replacement for a cracked screen is ONE-TIME ONLY.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
As far as the warranty, if you open the phone they will know it, and they MIGHT decide that it was sufficient to void the warranty replacement

I would bet paychecks there is no "might" here. They will void it in a second.

saschaelble

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
xt1254
The bootloop is CAUSED by the phone's "watchdog" not seeing the LCD. As soon as you replace the LCD the phone will stop bootlooping. The turbo is directly related to the Nexus series which do the same thing when the LCD is broken. Happened to me 2 weeks or so ago. I found an lcd on ebay for 20$ working but with broken glass. The phone stopped bootlooping. Now I'll be taking the glass from the broken LCD and putting it on this one with the broken glass but working LCD.