Does the wood backing effect the radios?

TOMMYBOT

Reaction score
Received two brand new (purchased from motorola) moto x's about 2 weeks ago.
My Gf got the wood backing. i got a black weave.
her phone seems to constantly have worse reception than mine.
and has more issues with wifi.
ex: shes at work right now . her co worker is connected to the wifi and is loading things fine. my gf's phone is connected to the wifi. but then g mail and chrome are saying no internet connection.

the problems dont seem to be consistant. but it does happen often her phonewill drop down to edge or no data while mine will still be on data.

We are on T-mobile
in a pretty strong network area in San Diego County.

any thoughts or suggestions?

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
1.Moto-G, Droid-X, 3.Droid 2
Twitter
@AECRADIO
Most covers for phones are pretty 'invisible' to RF at UHF and higher frequencies, but ifyour phone is showing problems, I would return it for a replacement, swapping covers and such rarely introduces losses and connection issues, this appears to be solely related to internal xcvr problems with the phone itself.

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
1.Moto-G, Droid-X, 3.Droid 2
Twitter
@AECRADIO
Another overlooked problem might be related to tower loading, high activity hours, and if you are one of several on the same tower site, you could be suffering from latency issues because of this.
A single site can only handle 'XXX' amount of traffic at a time, and your phone might be the one device that 'breaks the camel's back' as it were.
Try moving into an area served by a different tower if possible, and perform connection tests from that location.
You have two dissimilar metrics with which to gauge 'success' with instead of one.

Fonzz

Reaction score
My opinion given the examples: Faulty phone.
I can't imagine wood vs plastic or otherwise would have any noticeable difference.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Most likely a faulty phone. Has she tried it without the case to see if there is any improvement?

Fonzz

Reaction score
Most likely a faulty phone. Has she tried it without the case to see if there is any improvement?

If the "case" you're referring to is the wood backing in question, it is my understanding that the back piece, plate, cover, or whatever the proper term is, is non-user removable, like the "Razor" for example.