Droid 1 is getting slower and s-l-o-w-e-r

MarkDF

Reaction score
I have made no changes to the user installed software (apps, widgets, configuration, etc) on my phone for quite some time. However, with the last two software software releases, my phone is slower and slower. At times, it will take 30-60 seconds (!) to present me with the apps when I press the app button. I have given up on using the camera because by the time the camera app is loaded and ready to take a picture, the picture opportunity is long gone. I am looking longingly at my wife's iPhone that always seems to work. Is there anything to be done to rescue my phone? Can I go back to 2.1 (the last time I remember it being reponsive)? Would rooting and installing a custom ROM help?

Thanks from a very frustrated and attempting to be loyal but slowing giving up Android user.

markwebb

Reaction score
I would highly recommend rooting, if you feel comfortable with that process.

MY OG is running quite well and spiffy with OC kernels, ROMs etc.

If you are game to spending a few minutes changing ROM's and kernels, it is well worth it.

I rooted mine manually a long time ago and I believe now there are easy 1-2-3 rooting methods.

I am not looking forward to the day when this phone dies as it was the only MOTO phone produced which was unlocked and has the pure vanilla Google experience.

jchammer123

Reaction score
+1 on the rooting. That's the reason I rooted mine, and with the things you can do your phone will not slow down.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Agreed on the rooting thing. I have had my D1 for over a year and been rooted quite all of that time. You not only get so many more options and hacks to your device, but you can flash kernels and safely overclock your phones speed...

Persnally though I stick with a froyo rom on my D1 because the phone is just too old to handel gingerbread well. Don't get me wrong, I ran ginger roms for like 2 months and love the speed and battery life and features... but the D1 has a memory issue which basically wouldnt let me listen to music and do other things at the same time, and for me thats a huge loss...

I am on the latest MIUI Rom (a chinese build rom which is totally different looking than any other rom) and I couldnt be more content...

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
I would strongly recommend rooting as well. If you are not willing to try rooting i would clean and wipe (factory reset) every couple of month to just speed the phone up.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
A factory data reset will get you back to your old speed without rooting. There may be some custom ROM's that are faster then stock Froyo I'm not sure but going back to 2.1 is definitely not a good idea, even if you can.

I think that the people recommending rooting have good intentions and I have nothing against rooting myself. But the key to the phone getting faster because of rooting is that you wipe before you install a custom ROM. That's the same thing that a factory data reset will do.

Your choice however. Both will work.

jchammer123

Reaction score
Agreed on the rooting thing. I have had my D1 for over a year and been rooted quite all of that time. You not only get so many more options and hacks to your device, but you can flash kernels and safely overclock your phones speed...

Persnally though I stick with a froyo rom on my D1 because the phone is just too old to handel gingerbread well. Don't get me wrong, I ran ginger roms for like 2 months and love the speed and battery life and features... but the D1 has a memory issue which basically wouldnt let me listen to music and do other things at the same time, and for me thats a huge loss...

I am on the latest MIUI Rom (a chinese build rom which is totally different looking than any other rom) and I couldnt be more content...

Icculus,

You should check out some of the latest gb builds. It took me awhile to switch to gb fulltime because of too many issues. I've now had great success with Project Elite 5.1 and my current everyday rom Simply Stunning 5.2 which I've had no issues at all!!! Just a suggestion if you wanna give it a shot.
Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

scott32746

Reaction score
Was running slow myself. Loaded Chevyno1 SS 5.2 @1000mhz running great.
Root and then load Rom Manger Premium

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Lenagainster

Reaction score
I occasionally use a free app called "aCCleaner" (a name 'borrowed' from the old Crap Cleaner -- CCleaner) by Sam Lu, which cleans the cache. It seemed to help.