Droid RAZR won't turn on

SergeantDonow

Reaction score
So, I just got the RAZR, and after it has been activated (or at least I assume so, I was not there for the actual activation, but my old phone has been deactivated...so yeah) I turned it on, and then after checking back about 10-15 minutes later, it was still stuck on the screen with the red thingy with electricity going around. I did a hard restart a couple of times, and tried taking out the SIM card and doing a hard reset, but nothing has led to any success. Unless there is something I can do to try to fix it, I will probably just have to bring it to the Verizon store tomorrow, but if anyone has any clue how to fix the problem, it would be appreciated

konellaz

Reaction score
So, I just got the RAZR, and after it has been activated (or at least I assume so, I was not there for the actual activation, but my old phone has been deactivated...so yeah) I turned it on, and then after checking back about 10-15 minutes later, it was still stuck on the screen with the red thingy with electricity going around. I did a hard restart a couple of times, and tried taking out the SIM card and doing a hard reset, but nothing has led to any success. Unless there is something I can do to try to fix it, I will probably just have to bring it to the Verizon store tomorrow, but if anyone has any clue how to fix the problem, it would be appreciated

Can you try this?

Perform a factory reset using external keys

1. Power up the phone by pressing the VOL UP + VOL DOWN KEY together + PWR KEY . 2. The device will enumerate with different BOOT OPTIONS 3. Use the VOL DOWN Key to SCROLL and VOL UP Key to SELECT 4. Select Recovery 5. The device will start up with Motorola logo and power up to a little Android man logo with Exclamation mark 6. Press the VOL UP and VOL DOWN Key together at this screen 7. The device will display BLUE Text on a Black background . 8. Use the VOL DOWN Key to scroll DOWN and the PWR Key to SELECT the option desired . 9. In this case ,press the VOL DOWN key till the Wipe data / factory reset is selected and press the PWR key to confirm the selection . 10. Use the VOL DOWN key again to select YES - delete all user data and press the PWR key to CONFIRM . 11. The device will then start performing the Factory Data Reset 12. Once the Formatting is complete , press the PWR key to confirm a REBOOT 13. The message rebooting is displayed on the phone. 14. The device will reboot and start the normal power up sequence .

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

iaksamit

Reaction score
Resest

In Step 1, be sure to hold the PWR and VOL keys together for at least 10 seconds.

Can you try this?

1. Power up the phone by pressing the VOL UP + VOL DOWN KEY together + PWR KEY . 2. The device will enumerate with different BOOT OPTIONS 3. Use the VOL DOWN Key to SCROLL and VOL UP Key to SELECT 4. Select Recovery 5. The device will start up with Motorola logo and power up to a little Android man logo with Exclamation mark 6. Press the VOL UP and VOL DOWN Key together at this screen 7. The device will display BLUE Text on a Black background . 8. Use the VOL DOWN Key to scroll DOWN and the PWR Key to SELECT the option desired . 9. In this case ,press the VOL DOWN key till the Wipe data / factory reset is selected and press the PWR key to confirm the selection . 10. Use the VOL DOWN key again to select YES - delete all user data and press the PWR key to CONFIRM . 11. The device will then start performing the Factory Data Reset 12. Once the Formatting is complete , press the PWR key to confirm a REBOOT 13. The message rebooting is displayed on the phone. 14. The device will reboot and start the normal power up sequence .

SallyC

Reaction score

First thing I'd try is plugging it into a wall outlet charger using your Motorola cable and adapter for 1-2 hours. Then I'd press the power and volume down button for around 10 seconds and see if it starts. If it does, you've not lost any of your data.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Can you try this?

First thing I'd try is plugging it into a wall outlet charger using your Motorola cable and adapter for 1-2 hours. Then I'd press the power and volume down button for around 10 seconds and see if it starts. If it does, you've not lost any of your data.

I'm actually with both of you on this one. I would first try to get the phone to boot normally by following SallyC's instructions. If you are unsuccessful that way and the phone stays in the Droid Eye animation, I would then try the instructions prepared by konellaz. Since the phone is brand new and just activated but never actually used by you before, there will be no "data" to potentially lose so there's really no drawback to a full Factory reset.

To add to konellaz's instructions, I want to point out a common mistake many make when trying to navigate the Boot Mode Selection Menu. As he indicated, you use the <VOL DOWN> to navigate the menu, and <VOL UP> to select. This is quite strange and a difficult concept for many because the natural inclination is that when scrolling down with one button, the other one SHOULD scroll up. However, this is completely inaccurate for THIS MENU ONLY. If you scroll down with the <VOL DOWN> and you happen to pass what you were trying to highlight, rather than immediately and intuitively trying to use the <VOL UP> to go back one menu selection, simply continue pressing <VOL DOWN> and it will scroll to the bottom and one more press will take it back to the top to contine as before. You can keep pressing <VOL DOWN> forever and it will simply keep scrolling from top to bottom and then starting back at the top again. NEVER press the <VOL UP> in this menu UNLESS you are on the item you are intending to choose, because <VOL UP> is actually the <Select> button.

As konellaz then stated, in the next menu the <VOL UP> & <VOL DOWN> buttons function as you would expect them to with <VOL UP> scrolling up and <VOL DOWN> scrolling down.

Good luck and please report back with your success. ;)