Expansion Card Issue

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
I just got a notification reminding me the microSD card had been removed! News to me - it is still in there but seems not to be 'seen' by the device! I have no music, movies, or pictures seen by those apps. This is not good. Anyone else have this happen? It has never happened to any of my older phones. This is however the first 128gb card I've used (it is a PNY I think). Not pleased after all the time it took to sync everything.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Simply remove it by pulling out the tray, then reboot the phone and reinsert the tray with card seated properly.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
zinethar

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
I just got a notification reminding me the microSD card had been removed! News to me - it is still in there but seems not to be 'seen' by the device! I have no music, movies, or pictures seen by those apps. This is not good. Anyone else have this happen? It has never happened to any of my older phones. This is however the first 128gb card I've used (it is a PNY I think). Not pleased after all the time it took to sync everything.
OK update. Tried reboot no change. Turned off and took out memory card and tried in in my PC. Everything was fine with all files present on it. Put it back in Note 7 and now it sees everything like nothing happened. No idea what the problem was. I did have the phone in Airplane mode for a bit this morning which I had recently turned off. Might try that again to see if it was involved but not until I don't need access to some of the things on it!

OP
zinethar

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
Simply remove it by pulling out the tray, then reboot the phone and reinsert the tray with card seated properly.

Sorry didn't see your post until after I did my test. Checked around here and the web and this seems to happen more than rarely. That tray in this phone barely holds the card or the sim and not what I would call securely.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Well I was nearly 100% sure it would respond and I'm glad it did. Hope it was a one-up problem and continues normally.

jp6304

Reaction score
Well I was nearly 100% sure it would respond and I'm glad it did. Hope it was a one-up problem and continues normally.

I had this issue repeatedly with a PNY 128 gb card. I ended up getting a 128 gb Samsung card and it has only happened once and I think that was because of an issue with Android Auto.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Sorry didn't see your post until after I did my test. Checked around here and the web and this seems to happen more than rarely. That tray in this phone barely holds the card or the sim and not what I would call securely.
I had the SAME issue on my Note 4 with a PNY 128GB card. However after a couple days my photos were all saved as just black/broken. Once I took a few photos and didn't verify them until later when I needed them and they were gone I pulled the card and went back to 64gb SanDisk.

Now in my Note 7 I have the Samsung 256gb I got for buying the phone and again have had no issues. But I will never buy another PNY card again.

Not sure if it matters but this is the card.
52b4d51fb8f1f55e00202fc1caf88b62.jpg

I had this issue repeatedly with a PNY 128 gb card. I ended up getting a 128 gb Samsung card and it has only happened once and I think that was because of an issue with Android Auto.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Good information. Thanks for sharing. It is always helpful to have another set of eyes telling us what works and what doesn't. I am brand loyal in some things - SD Cards being one of them. I stay with Samsung, Sony, SanDisc, or Lexar for example. I am less likely to use any lower-level SD Card manufacturers.

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
I would stick with Samsung only Microsd cards. I had that issue with my Note 4 with SanDisk also. Never had the issue with Samsung Microsd. I also had an issue with the phone saying that the simple card had been removed. I had to get the sim card replaced no other issues.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk