Ext batt and wireless charging pad / back

evulhotdog

Reaction score
Tomorrow I will be receiving a wireless charging back, extended battery, and the wireless charging pad. I am quite curious as If the extended battery will work with the back for wireless charging.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OP
E

evulhotdog

Reaction score
So I received all 3 of them today. Wireless charging pad is pretty neat. Nice to be able to set it down and it charges. It does a quick beep once you set it down to let you know that it is charging.

The extended battery cover has a very very slightly larger lip around all edges and the camera. I immediately put in the extended battery and the wireless charging back, and it fits just like its supposed to. There is an extra little bulge towards the back of the phone where the battery area is, but its not very noticeable, and all of the clips around the edge of the phone actually clip in perfectly, if not better than it had with the normal battery in. I am very pleased with the....gift ;) and would definitely recommend both of these products working together, to make your phone the best it can be.

Warglock

Reaction score
Any chance that you could post some pics of the mat and how much farther the extended case is at the camera?

OP
E

evulhotdog

Reaction score
Any chance that you could post some pics of the mat and how much farther the extended case is at the camera?

I can deff do that. Currently I'm on a business trip so I don't have another camera but once I get back I will do.,

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
So I received all 3 of them today. Wireless charging pad is pretty neat. Nice to be able to set it down and it charges. It does a quick beep once you set it down to let you know that it is charging.

The extended battery cover has a very very slightly larger lip around all edges and the camera. I immediately put in the extended battery and the wireless charging back, and it fits just like its supposed to. There is an extra little bulge towards the back of the phone where the battery area is, but its not very noticeable, and all of the clips around the edge of the phone actually clip in perfectly, if not better than it had with the normal battery in. I am very pleased with the....gift ;) and would definitely recommend both of these products working together, to make your phone the best it can be.

Be careful. I was told by Verizon that the wireless charging cover was designed for the standard battery, not the extended battery. It's been discussed several times in extended battery threads, but using an extended battery with a back cover that's designed for the standard battery is a bad idea (even if it fits). Batteries expand as they heat up, which can cause several different problems. Additionally, that bulge you're already seeing is a problem. Not only is the battery pushing out the back, but the cover is also pushing it down into the mechanics of the phone. Since "thin is in" with smartphones, if using a standard cover with the extended battery was acceptable, Motorola wouldn't ship a larger cover with it.

digipoo

Reaction score
If I remember correctly the wireless charge pad work on inductive charging. Inductive charging generates a lot more heat than with wired charging. There is a greater chance that the battery can't withstand the heat and pressure from the wireless charge cover. I personally would not risk it.

Fuzzball

Reaction score
I would have expected that induction charging technology wouldn't generate so much heat by now. It's not like the technology is new; I remember encountering an electric toothbrush that was charged via induction about a couple decades or more ago. Personally I'd take an extended battery over the convenience of inductively charging a standard battery, unless I didn't have to pay for inductive charge mats for my home and office.

Anyone care to chime in on if it generates heat while charging? Also, I'd be interested to know if it periodically tops up the battery through the night; I'd hate for it to charge for a couple of hours, stop charging, and I'm left with 90% or less charge when I leave for work in the morning.

digipoo

Reaction score
I did some research after the above comment and some people are reporting that the powermats cause their devices to warm up a little but not hot. They do not mention any specifics like the actual temperature. Still, I would not use the cover for the standard battery. Again, since this is not a powermat product I can't draw a conclusive answer.