Galaxy Nexus retired to sock drawer

Stormy Knight

Reaction score
A week ago today, I got on Verizon's Moto Maker and ordered a Moto X. In my mind it is the only worthy successor to my Galaxy Nexus. Tuesday morning at around 9:30am Fed Ex dropped it off on my doorstep. As it had it's own SIM card, I had to call to activate it. It is a dandy little device. Slightly larger screen packed into a smaller form factor.

First impressions: The radios the radios the radios!!!!! I get some serious reception with this thing where my Nexus did not! The hand off between wifi and 3G/4G is nearly instantaneous. While I've had 4G signal out in the sticks where I live I was lucky to get 3-4 Mbps on the Nexus. With the X, I'm hitting 23 Mbps. That's faster than my 15 Mbps DSL.

Speakers: Wonderfully loud just like my original Droid! So happy to have that back! Great reception and clarity during phone calls as well.

Screen: Gorgeous non-pentile AMOLED. I never had a problem with my Nexus' screen. I couldn't tell it was a pentile display. Slide it next to an X2 or a Bionic, you could definitely see the difference. The Moto X screen just seems brighter or more vibrant.

Battery: Hands down much much nicer. I haven't run it through the gauntlet yet, but it doesn't drain like the Nexus.

The Moto X is very snappy and smooth. Only problem is that my only comparison is to the old Nexus. Even with JB 4.3 thanks to Cyanogenmod's Quick Installer, the Nexus was showing it's age. Laggy in almost every sense. Even with a larger battery, the Nexus didn't last very long. In fact, my last outing with it to the airport was what pushed me to upgrade. Two and half hour round trip using the Nav for 20 minutes drained my battery down to 15% by the time I got home. GNex, you'll be missed. You made a lot of my iPhone friends jealous of your screen. Keeping you in reserve just in case...

wcjeep

Reaction score
It was a shame Verizon killed the best reason of owning a Nexus device. Updates. Looks like the MotoX will be receiving regular updates despite Verizon. Congrats. What color combo did you go with?

NOVICE

Reaction score
I've had a lot of phones. Bought the Galaxy Nexus at release for the subsidized price of 299$.

I would think any new phone would look exceptional compared to the GNexus.

Inferior radios and battery life. Grey screen. Sluggish performance. Other than the ability to root and flash can't think of any facet in which the phone excelled.

In what I consider a "golden age" for mobile devices have never been so disappointed in a phone.

On the other hand, the battery was removable. Which proved invaluable given that I could only browse for a couple of hours at a time.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I loved my Gnex. .sits here looking like the first day I bought it. . Fun for flashing ..I never had bad radios bc I'm in big city ..battery ahhhh yes let's see one extended and two regular ..still wouldn't beat one charge on my N3 lol
Congrats on upgrade and Moto X

N3 tapa

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I loved my Gnex. .sits here looking like the first day I bought it. . Fun for flashing ..I never had bad radios bc I'm in big city ..battery ahhhh yes let's see one extended and two regular ..still wouldn't beat one charge on my N3 lol
Congrats on upgrade and Moto X

N3 tapa

Ya, the GNex battery was terrible! Nice on the X! Moto can make a comeback!!

OP
Stormy Knight

Stormy Knight

Reaction score
It was a shame Verizon killed the best reason of owning a Nexus device. Updates. Looks like the MotoX will be receiving regular updates despite Verizon. Congrats. What color combo did you go with?

I agree. Verizon isn't a fan of the Nexus devices since they nix the carrier-sponsored bloatware. The Gnex was thus relegated to red-headed stepchild status.

My Moto X is black front and back with metallic red highlights for the buttons and camera ring.