Gmail over wifi?

VooDooCC

Reaction score
Is tyere a way to use the gmail app over wifi rather than the 3g?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

If you are connected to wifi I think gmail will default to that for its data transfer. I could be wrong though.

Gmail comes in just fine on wifi. I get it on my Droid 2 and iPad, no problem. And my iPad doesn't have data all it has is wifi.

I'm connectrd to wifi now, I can go to gmail.com and check it that way but when I load the app, it says no connectiom

if you can't connect via wifi then somewhere you have a FW blocking the ports gmail uses.
the app works fine over wifi.

Last edited:
Just tried on a different network and still having the same issue. Is there a setting somewhere in my phone?

Just tried on a different network and still having the same issue. Is there a setting somewhere in my phone?

If your phone is rooted you can get a firewall app which blocks all 3G connections unless allowed. I know my droid x has option to stop all data. I also have the option to stop sync which allows 3g if I open the app but no background service can use 3g to keep up to date.

Still not working, does not say no connection anymore, but when I try to send an email, it keeps saying sending... until I enable data again.

Still not working, does not say no connection anymore, but when I try to send an email, it keeps saying sending... until I enable data again.

huh? How are your disabling data in the first place?

I was disabling data by menu>settings>data manager>data delivery>unchecking background data and data enabled. I used bettercut to make a shortcut to the data manger to get rid of a few steps.

I think I fixed it by menu>settings>wireless & networks>wi-fi settings>menu key>advanced>wi-fi sleep policy>change that to never
I'll see tomorrow

Back