How do I go from Leaked FROYO 2.2 back to stock?

2pitts

Reaction score
I found and was able to follow the directions quickly and easily to download the leaked update, but I'm struggling to get back??? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

burgturdler

Reaction score
Agreed. I want to go back to 2.1. Don't tell me there's no need to return to stock or any of that crap, I'm not asking whether I should go back, I've already made that decision. If you don't know how to revert or know where to find instructions, don't clog up the thred with bs. I'm not sure about 2pitts, but everywhere else I've looked, most threads are nothing helpful. Thanks

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Let me explain to you what the situation is, and if you think I'm clogging up the thread well, that's kind of too bad.

For those of you who are stock this was a mandatory update. You can go back to another form of 2.1, just not stock 2.1. If you're willing to root your phone then you can load a custom ROM to try to improve performance.

If 2.2 is causing you that much pain and you don't want to learn how to fix it then just go to Verizon. It's their update, let them fix for you.

2Pitts I'm talking directly to you because for a first post burgturdler is not getting off to a good start here. What specific issues are you having with 2.2 because it is an excellent update? If it's apps that are giving you an issue, like swype just uninstall and reinstall it. If it's running slow then you need to do a Factory Data Reset.

Even if you could go back to 2.1 the update will force itself on your phone.

So your choice is to root and try a custom ROM or try the Factory Data reset.

OP
2pitts

2pitts

Reaction score
Let me explain to you what the situation is, and if you think I'm clogging up the thread well, that's kind of too bad.

For those of you who are stock this was a mandatory update. You can go back to another form of 2.1, just not stock 2.1. If you're willing to root your phone then you can load a custom ROM to try to improve performance.

If 2.2 is causing you that much pain and you don't want to learn how to fix it then just go to Verizon. It's their update, let them fix for you.

2Pitts I'm talking directly to you because for a first post burgturdler is not getting off to a good start here. What specific issues are you having with 2.2 because it is an excellent update? If it's apps that are giving you an issue, like swype just uninstall and reinstall it. If it's running slow then you need to do a Factory Data Reset.

Even if you could go back to 2.1 the update will force itself on your phone.

So your choice is to root and try a custom ROM or try the Factory Data reset.
Thanks Hook,
1st off, sorry I cross posted. Didn't realize I was breaking the rules. Back to my issue. I agree that 2.2 FROYO is great. I manually downloaded the the update and got spooked by the talk of there not being future updates to my manual version. My kernel version is: 2.6.32.9-g874c292. I'm pretty sure this is a bit different from the OTA version.
Will a Factory Data Reset revert my phone to any version of 2.1?

burgturdler

Reaction score
I realize this is my "first post" but that's irrelevant because it is a perfectly normal and polite request. Also I know you were adressing pitts, but personally my problems have been slacker and pandora not working, facebook not loading notifications, gps losing signal all the damn time and navigation not playing nice with slacker whenever it was working. I did a factory reset and for now slacker has resumed normal function. I realize these are not catastrophic problems, but they're annoying and not how the phone should function. Btw the type of posts I was talking about would be one sentence replies like "froyo is amazing, just keep it!" Or "no reason to do that, what's wrong with you?" You said the update would be forced, not sure if can, but if you could help me to understand a little bit better, that'd be great. I manually updated because when I got my new phone (replacement after my last phone bricked out of nowhere) because the ota update wasn't available. I got the phone last Friday, so the 27th of aug, and I called verizon to see why it wasn't available since all my friends and family with the droid had gotten the ota version. They told me they were doing it in waves and all that and after having experienced froyo working flawlessly on my last phone I hated 2.1 and couldn't wait. If I go back can I just not update when the ota is available? Thanks for your explanation hookbill, it was very helpful thus far and had ten times more info than my threads on xda dev and androidforums

burgturdler

Reaction score
2pitts, no it doesn't, or at least not for me. Also, when I did the factory reset, it couldn't have completely wiped the phone because without putting in my sd card, my background was still the same after I activated the phone