How to change? " Call log " time since last call display. Droid 1 moto, ver 2.2

ARZ

Reaction score
Whenever I need to call someone back that is not saved to my "contacts" I usually remember I spoke with them (for instance) last Friday at 11:05am. The problem is I usually have made a MILLION calls on every Friday and so I go to find the person I called and the display in the call log says "6 days ago" or August 20th or whatever the date was.

My last phone, told you "Friday 8/20 11:05am" I never realized how GREAT that display format was until I didn't have it.

Is there any way to change the DATE format?

Honestly I cant believe how WORTHLESS the format they chose is, you couldn't possibly chose a more worthless format for displaying the date and time of a call if you tried. Here is how they are currently displayed

For the first day it says "2 hours ago", or "22 hours ago",
for the second day it says "YESTERDAY" based on 48 hours from the current time. IE: if 2 calls were made less than an hour apart at approximately 48 hours, one will say yesterday, and the other will say the date (giving you the impression they were made on different days).
for the next 6 days it says, "1 to 6 days ago"
after that it says only the date "August 19th"

I don't know about you guys, but my days run together when I'm busy, and oddly enough I can remember if a made or received a call on a Tuesday or a Friday but for me to think OH that was "4 days ago" especially when my phone is making a rolling determination on a day for "you" being exactly 24 hours is a TOTAL pain in the A$$. Furthermore, once more than 7 days has passed, I have NO IDEA what date that WAS. I can easily recall a month ago I spoke with this guy at 3:30pm and I got no calls between noon and 3:30, so I go searching my call log on my old phone and BAM I got it. On this phone HOLY $HIT is it a PITA, you have to OPEN each call (and risk calling them again) to see the exact time the call was made.

If anybody knows how I can change this to have a format like this

Fri 8/20 11:05 am

Please let us know.

OP
A

ARZ

Reaction score
Whenever I need to call someone back that is not saved to my "contacts" I usually remember I spoke with them (for instance) last Friday at 11:05am. The problem is I usually have made a MILLION calls on every Friday and so I go to find the person I called and the display in the call log says "6 days ago" or August 20th or whatever the date was, but does NOT display the time I spoke with them until you open the call (click on the name).

My last phone, told you "Friday 8/20 11:05am" I never realized how GREAT that display format was until I didn't have it.

Honestly I cant believe how WORTHLESS the format they chose is, you couldn't possibly chose a more worthless format for displaying the date and time of a call if you tried. Here is how they are currently displayed

for the second day it says "YESTERDAY" based on 48 hours from the current time. IE: if 2 calls were made less than an hour apart at approximately 48 hours, one will say yesterday, and the other will say the date (giving you the impression they were made on different days).

I don't know about you guys, but my days run together when I'm busy, and oddly enough I can remember if a made or received a call on a Tuesday or a Friday but for me to think OH that was "4 days ago" especially when my phone is making a rolling determination on a day for "you" being exactly 24 hours is a TOTAL pain in the A$$. Furthermore, once more than 7 days has passed, I have NO IDEA what date that WAS. I can easily recall a month ago I spoke with this guy at 3:30pm and I got no calls between noon and 3:30, so I go searching my call log on my old phone and BAM I got it. On this phone HOLY $HIT is it a PITA, you have to OPEN each call (and risk calling them again) to see the exact time the call was made.

Anybody know if there is an way to change this or an App, Please let us know.

JimmyD

Reaction score
Get a call log app!

In the Market, there are plenty of free (and paid) apps that allow you to track calls (number, date, TIME of call, and call duration). Some of these apps even sync the call log information to your Google calendar so you can view it on your phone's calendar or your PC's calendar!

"CallTrack" is one app I've heard people really like to use and it's a free app.

Do a search in the market on the keywords: phone call log ...and you'll find a bunch of solutions.

I hope this helps!

(For the record.... I agree with you 1000%.... it's annoying how the stock call log stamps the date without the call time and call duration... my Palm Treo650 did this)

Se7enLC

Reaction score
Whenever I need to call someone back that is not saved to my "contacts" I usually remember I spoke with them (for instance) last Friday at 11:05am. The problem is I usually have made a MILLION calls on every Friday and so I go to find the person I called and the display in the call log says "6 days ago" or August 20th or whatever the date was, but does NOT display the time I spoke with them until you open the call (click on the name).

Anybody know if there is an way to change this or an App, Please let us know.

This is an option in CM6. Under phone, you hit the Menu key, Preferences, and under the Call log section there is a check box for "Exact times"

I believe you can also get this by installing the "cytown dialer", but I believe it works better when it is built-in.
, part of the "cytown dialer"

OP
A

ARZ

Reaction score
^^^ Forgive me but, What is CM6? ^^^ And how do I get to it?

Does this require me to Root my phone? I'm really not interested in that, if that's the case.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

Does this require me to Root my phone? I'm really not interested in that, if that's the case.

It's a custom rom and yes you would have to root your device.
It's the only way I know to accomplish what you want.

kevdog

Reaction score
Ive got cytown installed on cvpcs and I dont see this as an available option.

Game4set

Reaction score
Just go to the market and download this app called "Dialer One" it can help you with most of your issues :)

medinauta

Reaction score
Since this is the "Development" section, I would like to do it without third apps. :)

OP
A

ARZ

Reaction score

It's a custom rom and yes you would have to root your device.
It's the only way I know to accomplish what you want.
Is this something that could be written as an APP? I would actually pay for that one, if it did EXACTLY what I wanted.

I just heard if you rooted your phone you loose your warranty. When in actuality if I really did need to warranty it and ROOTING is the reason they declined my warranty, is their any recourse? I mean don't they kind of advertise this phone as a "Droid DOES"?!?!?

Think I (WE ALL) have any other options?

OP
A

ARZ

Reaction score
Just go to the market and download this app called "Dialer One" it can help you with most of your issues :)
Yea, its better than the OEM "call log" and I like that it tells the TIME of the call but its so busy (i.e. it has a big icon for a photo of the caller on the left and that phone icon to show if it was an incoming or out going call it does NOT need that big icon of a green phone on the right to dial them, they could be one in the same) also it kinda jams the text together and makes it hard to read some fields, and it does tell the date but it still does not tell the DAY of the phone call. I often remember that I spoke to someone on a Friday or a Sunday NOT the actual date. A

Thanks for the post, I do appreciate it.

I my opinion there is a WHOLE bunch of $hit the Droid doesnt do that it should.

Here are a few

1. redial a missed call with less than 2 button presses. (Every phone for the last 10 years could do this, how they missed that is beyond me)
2. put the call log on the desktop.
3. Make the voice search learn pronunciations (like if your friend has a oddly pronounced name)
4. Put the voice to text feature in the email application.
5. Include a stock text messenger that you can SAVE photos out of.
6. Include a worthwhile task killer so your battery lasts longer than a DAY in stock trim.
7. Make the stock email app available to go to the next message when viewed horizontally.
8. In the "Call Log" make it so you can view the rest of a contacts info once you have selected that contact (currently to view their other phone numbers or to email them you have to hit "view contact" WHY? there is a TON of un-used space right below the "view contact" button.
9. install the flashlight app from the factory. Who hasn't needed that? That thing is GREAT!!!
10. Spend a little more time developing the music player. It could use a little more functionality and smaller icons, so you can view more artists per page (little stuff like that).

There that's 10 things I just poped off the top of my head. If I actually sat down and thought about it I am sure I could come up with WAY more.

Krooked247

Reaction score
Yea, its better than the OEM "call log" and I like that it tells the TIME of the call but its so busy (i.e. it has a big icon for a photo of the caller on the left and that phone icon to show if it was an incoming or out going call it does NOT need that big icon of a green phone on the right to dial them, they could be one in the same) also it kinda jams the text together and makes it hard to read some fields, and it does tell the date but it still does not tell the DAY of the phone call. I often remember that I spoke to someone on a Friday or a Sunday NOT the actual date. A

Thanks for the post, I do appreciate it.

I my opinion there is a WHOLE bunch of $hit the Droid doesnt do that it should.

Here are a few

1. redial a missed call with less than 2 button presses. (Every phone for the last 10 years could do this, how they missed that is beyond me)
2. put the call log on the desktop.
3. Make the voice search learn pronunciations (like if your friend has a oddly pronounced name)
4. Put the voice to text feature in the email application.
5. Include a stock text messenger that you can SAVE photos out of.
6. Include a worthwhile task killer so your battery lasts longer than a DAY in stock trim.
7. Make the stock email app available to go to the next message when viewed horizontally.
8. In the "Call Log" make it so you can view the rest of a contacts info once you have selected that contact (currently to view their other phone numbers or to email them you have to hit "view contact" WHY? there is a TON of un-used space right below the "view contact" button.
9. install the flashlight app from the factory. Who hasn't needed that? That thing is GREAT!!!
10. Spend a little more time developing the music player. It could use a little more functionality and smaller icons, so you can view more artists per page (little stuff like that).

There that's 10 things I just poped off the top of my head. If I actually sat down and thought about it I am sure I could come up with WAY more.

You can do this with the stock text messager... you jus have to HOLD your finger on the picture or video instead of just touching it.