How to unroot after ICS update?

BrinNutz

Reaction score
Well, I have a warranty issue with an ear piece speaker being blown...But, I now have Superuser showing installed but need it off asap! Thanks! No definitive answer that I have found that any of the root tools have an unroot option.

Thanks!

djstinso

Reaction score
Depends on how you gained root access? I am not sure that anyone has posted anything on it yet.

Reaction score
Well, I have a warranty issue with an ear piece speaker being blown...But, I now have Superuser showing installed but need it off asap! Thanks! No definitive answer that I have found that any of the root tools have an unroot option.

Thanks!

Yea I had the same issue and couldnt figure it out..until recently. so firstly, to remove superuser from ics is different than removing it in gb. and if someone here can correct me please do because im doing it the only way i could! normally the unroot/root tool will remove it for you but in our case, on a droid 4 in ics, it doesn't. So I went on the market and downloaded root checker. I then checked to see if I had root access. do this if you are unsure if your phone is properly unrooted. If It tells you no access (which It didnt for me, it told me i had root access), then you are good and unrooted. All you have to do at that point is just go into settings/app/superuser/ clear cache force stop and uninstall it manually like you would any other app.

----Now if you are rooted, and unsure of how to unroot like me, then I suggest googling easyroot ics for droid 4 and:
1. download that utility and then reroot your phone with that. sorry i dont have the link and yes i mean REROOT, but with this tool
2. After you do that, easyroot will install its own version of super user which has an option to clear root and fully uninstall root (at this point you should have two super user apps, they will look different, one should be your old one and the other the new one easyroot installed).
3. Just manually uninstall your old super user.
4. go into the new super user app that easy root installed and select unroot
5. this will unroot your phone.
6. get back into your phone once it reboots and check to see if there is any more super user apps installed. if there is, manually remove them through settings/app/app anme/uninstall that app,
7. download root checker to see if you have root. it should tell you that you do not have root access (thats good)
8. now you can do a factory reset or a ap recovery boot from sd and voila! unrooted stock phone and no trace of super user.
9. I would download a root explorer app and check to see if there is any leftover app folders and delete them i.e. rooted app folders (u should be ok i think).

sorry if this process is a bit long for something so simple but I honestly looked everywhere too and was scared to use other phones' root tools because i feared it would screw my phone up. make sure ur battery is at least 70 percent but shouldnt use more than 30 percent during this process. at least when i did it.

me_droid

Reaction score
The issue i had with unrooting d4 is that there seemed to be no uninstall for superuser in the most common ics root utilities. You can unroot, but they don't remove superuser and you can't delete it if you're not rooted. Sort of a catch 22. Using your method i guess you could delete superuser after rerooting and then delete the old superuser, then unroot again with the utility you mentioned.

jayetruth

Reaction score
me_droid said:
The issue i had with unrooting d4 is that there seemed to be no uninstall for superuser in the most common ics root utilities. You can unroot, but they don't remove superuser and you can't delete it if you're not rooted. Sort of a catch 22. Using your method i guess you could delete superuser after rerooting and then delete the old superuser, then unroot again with the utility you mentioned.

Search for razrs_edge root tool. Works like a charm. Same guy that did motofail

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I test out the unroot used for GB and it will work on ICS. I will update my version of the ICS tool and include it.

I have been doing further testing on this and it still needs a little work. There is a superuser data file that is in a different location. So the unroot script needs some edits.

Last edited:
OP
B

BrinNutz

Reaction score
I test out the unroot used for GB and it will work on ICS. I will update my version of the ICS tool and include it.

I have been doing further testing on this and it still needs a little work. There is a superuser data file that is in a different location. So the unroot script needs some edits.

10-4. I'll keep checking for updates!

cmseeley

Reaction score

Thanks!

I have exactly the same problem with the stupid ear piece speaker.

This is how I unrooted.

type the following commands in an adb shell.

su
chmod 0777 /system/xbin/su
rm -r /system/xbin/su
chmod 0777 /system/bin/su
rm -r /system/bin/su
chmod 0777 /system/app/Superuser.apk
rm -r /system/app/Superuser.apk
chmod 0777 /system/xbin/busybox
rm -r /system/xbin/busybox
reboot

jetguat

Reaction score
Search for razrs_edge root tool. Works like a charm. Same guy that did motofail

I'm considering using the razrs_edge_window not sure if thats the same you mention. If I root with that. How do I unroot..
and hopefully thus allowing future OTA updates to work. BTW I am only using the stock VzW ROM