How will those leaked pixel XL photos effect essential phone sales?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I asked a variation of this on Twitter because for me I came off the conference hyped for essential but man those pixel XL photos and specs almost killed me going after the essential. To be fair those leaked camera photos of the essential camera started the hesitation, I think these pixel XL photos just drove the nails.

Do you think if essential would have released the essential phone it would've capitalized off the hype or were too many people still going to give Google the benefit of the doubt first?

In other words am I being too dramatic to compare this to the Droid Razr note 2 situation where a lot of people were so hype for the Droid that if they would have capitalized on the hype and did a summer release they could've picked up more customers vs as waiting until fall where they allowed Samsung to steal the show?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
This is merely my opinion, but I think the average phone buyer knows nothing about the Essential Phone so they wouldn't have an opinion one way or another. If I was not a member of this forum I would have no knowledge of the Essential phone. Most people only know what's sold in their local phone store. Techie folks (like most of us here) that saw the pics from the Essential may now steer clear, but no one else will even know it exists.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
when the essential phone is finally released, it will take a lot of whatever to get the word out unless they are sold through major carriers or will be left out in the cold.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I think it's priced and geared for a specific group.. Let's see what they have once released.. June or early July was a great time to have it shipping.. Get some early enthusiasts on board.. I will definitely wait on the Pixel XL now.. Google did plenty right with the Pixel and we expect to see continued improvement...

Sent using Tapatalk

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
This is merely my opinion, but I think the average phone buyer knows nothing about the Essential Phone so they wouldn't have an opinion one way or another. If I was not a member of this forum I would have no knowledge of the Essential phone. Most people only know what's sold in their local phone store. Techie folks (like most of us here) that saw the pics from the Essential may now steer clear, but no one else will even know it exists.

I was looking at the fact that the essential and pixel appears to the same crowd.

Now I'll have to say this, the advertisement that Google did for the pixel worked because I'm now having normal people asking about the pixel. So yeah maybe Google is finally turning it around and getting the exposure that they lacked with the Nexus line. Curious to see how that will fair in October and will it be enough to snag the average consumers away from the note 8 and the iPhone 8?

Yeah at this point @me just sayin and @bkdodger, it's going to be hard for essential to compete in the already oversaturated high end smart phone market without carrier support. Both Google with the Nexus and OnePlus has proven that. And I just do not think going Sprint as the only exclusive carrier will be enough to push them over the edge.

But you never know it was Sprint who had an exclusive deal with HTC and the Evo back in 2010 and we could argue that the Evo at the time was one of the best Android smart phones and got a lot of buzz. Yes I know I'm comparing essential (a name no one knows) with HTC(a name that had credentials) but if Sprint and essential can put a nice advertisement package together putting it in the hands of key celebrities as well as price it right, it could make waves at Sprint.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Good points @pc747. I hadn't really thought of it from that perspective. In that case I would imagine more people would turn to the Pixel 2. If I had to pick between the two phones, as my only options for a new phone, I would go with the new Pixel 2 over the Essential. The camera quality doesn't matter to me, I don't take many pics (unless it's whatever I'm tearing apart in my garage so I know how it goes back together). Mainly for the stability, and support that comes from a Google product; the Essential is still an unknown as far as a product and a company.