HTC Rezound BOOTLOADER Unlocked!

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Oh wow.....Decision time now. This makes the Rezound the hands-down best phone out there. Unlocked/root was the only edge the Nexus had, and now with the reviews the Rezound camera has, along with the 48gigs of optional storage (for those traveling without service)....

I love the Nexus, but I have to seriously look into this.

loki993

Reaction score
Was it not assumed that the Rezound would be unlocked like all the other HTC phones and at least have an easily defeatable bootloader? They release all the source code for the kernels right?

OP
DroidModderX

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Was it not assumed that the Rezound would be unlocked like all the other HTC phones and at least have an easily defeatable bootloader? They release all the source code for the kernels right?

It was assumed but never guarunteed

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Unlocked, rooted, de-bloated and de-Sensed.

But to be honest, it really isn't any different than what we had before with temp root and the debloat and de-Sense scripts. All that has changed is that we have perm root, but you don't need that for all that much except apps like Wifi tether, TB, and a few other things.

My concern here is that we won't be able to get an ICS based ROM on here because we still have S-ON, and we will undoubtedly make our phones unable to accept the ICS OTA when it does come out because we deleted some system file that is needed, etc...

So I am not totally sold on this yet, especially until there is a decent ROM out there. Right now, there isn't.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Oh wow.....Decision time now. This makes the Rezound the hands-down best phone out there. Unlocked/root was the only edge the Nexus had, and now with the reviews the Rezound camera has, along with the 48gigs of optional storage (for those traveling without service)....

I love the Nexus, but I have to seriously look into this.

Hands-down best phone out there? I'd say it's a bit closer than that.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Hands-down best phone out there? I'd say it's a bit closer than that.

How so? Only thing Nexus wins on are NFC (gimmick) and the barometer supposedly helping GPS lock. Camera and storage are pretty big edges to the Rezound, and some also like Beats audio. If you don't like "hands-down", then let's just say across the board equal or best to the other phones. In total I think it's a pretty clear-cut #1. An unlocked RAZR probably a better rival than the Nexus.

I have the Nexus, and no real complaints. But as far as ICS, I think the software buttons are a fail for me at this point - hard and inconsistent to operate at times (especially the little vertical settings bar). Google or a rom developer definitely need to address that. I'd like to see how ICS works on a phone with capacitative buttons, but to me that's not a big point of differentiation (not saying it couldn't be for some).

Last edited:

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
How so? Only thing Nexus wins on are NFC (gimmick) and the barometer supposedly helping GPS lock. Camera and storage are pretty big edges to the Rezound, and some also like Beats audio. If you don't like "hands-down", then let's just say across the board equal or best to the other phones. In total I think it's a pretty clear-cut #1. An unlocked RAZR probably a better rival than the Nexus.

I have the Nexus, and no real complaints. But as far as ICS, I think the software buttons are a fail for me at this point - hard and inconsistent to operate at times (especially the little vertical settings bar). Google or a rom developer definitely need to address that. I'd like to see how ICS works on a phone with capacitative buttons, but to me that's not a big point of differentiation (not saying it couldn't be for some).

If it were a race, let's call it a photo finish! :)

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
If it were a race, let's call it a photo finish! :)

LOL, good one! I'm a bit torn, and that's the primary reason eventhough I've never been a big photo guy. But all else equal (which to me, it seems mostly the case) why shouldn't I choose the better camera? To be fair, you might argue zero-shutter lag is a respectable trade-off in quality, but it remains to be seen what ICS would do for the other phones in that department.

The 48gigs matters to me, as well. I travel and sometimes in areas with only poor 3G reception, so I have a lot of music I like to have ON my phone and would also like the extra storage for videos and perhaps even using my phone as a sort of USB for critical work files.

We have until Jan 9th or so to return with a re-stock fee, and I will probably wait for a rom running ICS on the Rezound to see how it works and get some reviews. It really is splitting hairs to some extent, but I suspect I may have this phone for 2-3 years or more (until something really amazing comes out, basically replacing a laptop) so I don't want to make any trade-offs I don't have to.

Maybe the RAZR and Rezound have a bit better specs overall, but perhaps the Nexus will just run better on ICS, which is a distinct possibility given it's development in conjunction with Google and ICS.

Knowpig

Reaction score
Amazing news.
Thank you HTC.
MOTO, what are you thinking?
I am at a loss trying to understand why a company would alienate a customer base.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

loki993

Reaction score
Unlocked, rooted, de-bloated and de-Sensed.

But to be honest, it really isn't any different than what we had before with temp root and the debloat and de-Sense scripts. All that has changed is that we have perm root, but you don't need that for all that much except apps like Wifi tether, TB, and a few other things.

My concern here is that we won't be able to get an ICS based ROM on here because we still have S-ON, and we will undoubtedly make our phones unable to accept the ICS OTA when it does come out because we deleted some system file that is needed, etc...

So I am not totally sold on this yet, especially until there is a decent ROM out there. Right now, there isn't.

Isn't one of the things about an unlocked boot loader access to the kernal? So custom kernals would now be possible and its not with just a root

Sent from my DROIDXified ICS D2

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Isn't one of the things about an unlocked boot loader access to the kernal? So custom kernals would now be possible and its not with just a root

Sent from my DROIDXified ICS D2

Yes and no, with HTC phones, we now need to wait for S-Off which will then allow us to flash kernels. With the bootloader unlocked on the Rezound we can obtain a permanent root and make changes to the existing ROM.

jsh82

Reaction score
I've unlocked my bootloader and attempted to run one click root. Now I can't connect to the network or wi-fi and am still unrooted. I restored factory settings and still cannot get any network/wi-fi connections. I haven't seen anyone with this or any mention of this issue. Any suggestions?

loki993

Reaction score
Yes and no, with HTC phones, we now need to wait for S-Off which will then allow us to flash kernels. With the bootloader unlocked on the Rezound we can obtain a permanent root and make changes to the existing ROM.

Do the other HTC phones have this S-off? Is that also expected for the Vigor/Rezound?

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Do the other HTC phones have this S-off? Is that also expected for the Vigor/Rezound?

Yes, most if not all HTC do have S-Off, hopefully we shall bet this for the Rezound as well, not sure when though.

Having the S-Off allows us to flash custom kernels/radios, where as unlocked bootloader allows for perm root and custom ROM's.

Can't wait for S-Off...