Laggy Droid X even after Factory Reset

Biomortis

Reaction score
I wanted to share my experience with my laggy Droid X and the only thing that fixed it, in the hopes that it might shed some light on the mystery lag.

I rooted it a while back using Christim's guide from September and it worked perfectly. I really enjoyed doing it in the terminal emulator. Thanks Christim! I had every intention of trying different ROM's so I backed mine up on January 4th using Clockwork. This was my saving grace because I had to use it last night to restore my DX.

Other than the actual rooting, my DX is essentially unmodified and running Froyo 2.2.1. A couple nights ago I was messing around with c:geo with GPS active (a geocaching app that integrates with Google Maps) and I fell asleep. I had it plugged in so it ran all night. When I woke up it was extremely hot. Everything from that point on was super laggy. Shaky screen transitions, text entry lagging behind up to several seconds, notifications sometimes reappearing 2 or 3 times from incoming texts, the calendar widget would disappear and reappear randomly and I would keep dropping my cell signal and it would rotate through no signal to 1X to 3G.....it was so annoying it was essentially unusable.

I started uninstalling apps, I cleared the cache, I moved apps from the SD card to the phone, I disabled animations, I did multiple factory resets all with no results. I did not have a Facebook account linked to my contacts so it wasn't that. I rebooted with the SD card removed. I tried every tip and trick mentioned in multiple forums and there was no improvement of any kind. I had become convinced that somehow there was hardware damage from running the GPS all night.

Then I remembered about my ROM backup and figured I had nothing to lose so I loaded it up and to my complete surprise, it worked like it was brand new again. No lag of any kind. I had been using c:geo for months with no problems so I don't know if it was the cause. I didn't have anything on auto-update as far as I know.

Because the ROM backup restored proper functionality, I can only assume that I was in fact experiencing a software error/bug of some sort. I have no idea what could have happened. If I hadn't been rooted and made that backup, I can only imagine that I would have had to get a replacement. Has anyone had a similar experience or have some insight as to what might have happened?

xliderider

Reaction score
There have been accounts by many users of the X that random rebooting and lag were solved only after loading a custom rom.

In your case, a flash with RSD Lite and an sbf file may have worked to restore your device to a factory fresh state. Something may have become corrupted on your device that a Factory Data Reset didn't fix.

OP
B

Biomortis

Reaction score
Agreed, there was most likely corruption of some sort, but there shouldn't have been. Given that there are so many complaints of lag that shows up for seemingly no reason, it would be nice to be able to try and track down what is causing it. I absolutely love my DX so it bugs the hell out of me that this issue exists. Maybe its something similar to SSD degradation over time and restoring the ROM overwrote fragmented cells.....I don't know. Just grasping. I hate not finding a definitive answer to this.