Modified Droid 2 Dock With Extra Battery Slot

Ricerocket

Reaction score
I bought a multimedia dock from THIS GUY on eBay. I asked him if it would put the phone into 'dock' mode, but he wasn't sure. I figured if I had to modify it a little, it wouldn't be a huge deal. It came in today along with a new extended battery and battery door. I got the Motorola extended battery rather than take a chance on some of the other eBay offerings that I came across. Anyway, after putting the extended door on, the phone didn't fit into the cradle. So, off to the shop I go. I chucked the cradle in the vise of my mini-mill and started cutting a recess so that the phone would fit with the new battery. I also discovered that while there were indeed magnets inside of the cradle to put it into dock mode, they were in the wrong place! After cutting the recess (pics below) I took it apart and repositioned the magnets so that it would put it into dock mode.

2011-01-15_20-56-45_325.jpg
2011-01-15_20-56-36_274.jpg
2011-01-15_20-54-10_674.jpg

Works like a charm. All of the benefits of the Motorola dock along with the ability to charge an extra battery all for the cost of $25 + about an hour of my time.

Looks good! Nice mill work too! Do you need to move the magnets around if you're not using the extended battery? How did you move em? I've been thinking about picking one of these up.

Thanks!

You'll have to move the magnets whether you're using the standard or extended battery. They just put them in the wrong place. Once you take the bottom of the dock off, you'll remove a small bracket that holds them in place. I used superglue to hold them in the right spot. Had to play around a little to figure out exactly where to put them.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

Back