My droid hates me

bmxriderjack

Reaction score
ok, so a couple days ago my first original droid running U.D. 2.1 stopped working all of the sudden. it froze so i did a battery pull, and then i turned it back on and the display was just gone. it would turn on and show the backlight but no picture would show at all. no buttons or the touchscreen would work at all, just the notification blinker. so i did some research and discovered this is pretty much unfix-able and so i sent it in for a replacement.
i got my replacement the next day and i went to work to return it to my personal preference. i rooted it, flashed U.D. 2.3, flashed my normal kernel (chevy 1.25 ulv), and did all the other random tweaks, and my phone was running flawlessly.
now, two days later, i pick my phone up off of my nightstand to try and download some music, and the screen is black, my first thought was to charge it. so i put it on the charger and bam, it turns on with a black screen. not even the backlight is showing on this new droid. i can turn the phone on, get to the unlock screen (with no picture), and i can use the slider to unlock it, but still cant see anything. the touchscreen reacts to touch, the four buttons at the bottom work and vibrate when i touch them, and the keyboard lights up.
i did all the research possible and i can not find a fix for this. i am becoming infuriated with this phone. can someone please help me fix this before i shove a soldering iron in my eye?

i was running versions of ultimate droid and chevy ulv kernels both times this hapenned to my phone, does anyone think this could be the case? or is this a manufacturing flaw of the phone.

any feedback is appreciated because i am on the brink of insanity trying to figure this out

Edit: i also went into sprecovery and did a default nandroid restore, and the backup that i restored was done directly after i rooted it the day i got it, with no foreign roms or kernels on it. And the screen is still comepletely black

Last edited:

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would try a different ROM first off.

Last I knew, and I may be mistaken, but UD recommends using Slayher kernels now.

Maybe the Chevy kernel isn't playing nice...

pierced_droid

Reaction score
Power and x see if you can get into recovery if that doesn't work I say ask for a new phone

Sent from my etcha-sketch

OP
bmxriderjack

bmxriderjack

Reaction score
@martin: i would try a different rom but i restored a back up that was made when i had the stock kernel and stock 2.2 that came with the phone. shouldnt that nandroid restore replace UD and chevys kernel?
i think it did replace UD because the ud sliders are at the very bottom of the lockscreen and the stock lock screen has sliders that are about a half inch higher than UD's. and i can tell the sliders moved up after i did the restore.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
so no one knows a fix? its driving me crazy.
As pierced said and you figured, probably time to get another replacement. And as Martin said, next time try a different rom. We are not supposed to bash rom's here, but for me when I read of lots of people having problems and what rom they are running, I tend to avoid those roms. And the funny thing is those are the ones that people tout and promote the most either in fact and/or with huge pics of them in their sigs.

good luck