My phone is freaking me out!

rogueleader

Reaction score
Not really, but this is pretty weird! Not a problem per se, not even sure what forum to use for this question. So, I was pretty impressed with Google Now's "Listen to TV" feature. I used it many times and it always worked perfectly. I was curious how it worked and looked it up. That's when I learned it needed a wi-fi connected TV. That's the problem, my TV is not connected. It's an old tube style TV, there's nothing 'smart' about it! So HOW does Google know what I am watching?? :blink: I tested it out, switching channels and it was right every time. It even correctly identified a show that was on one channel while that channel was playing a commercial! I searched and searched and found nothing about this feature being updated to work with 'dumb' TV's but mine certainly does! Weird! :icon_eek:

The phone uses the microphone to listen to the audio track, then compares it with the actual track for programs playing at that time and based on the program guides which are on the web.

It doesn't actually need an internet connected TV.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I never heard of this, is this function in the Google Now settings? And why would one want to use this?

I never heard of this, is this function in the Google Now settings? And why would one want to use this?

Yes it is a feature of Google Now. You say "Google listen to TV" and much like the "What song is this?" feature a progress bar pops up indicating Google is "listening". Then it pops up a card with the name and episode of the show/ IMDB info about actors etc. As to why someone would want this I would say it is more of a cool gimmick than a useful feature like many other parts of Google Now. It is pretty cool.

I was being facetious by the way with my question. My phone doesn't really freak me out,I don't think Google is spying on me or something! But the info section ON GOOGLE does say you need a wifi enabled TV. That is the part I thought was weird that it worked on my 'dumb' TV without any kind of wifi connection. Also, I understand the part about comparing to the actual track of programs playing but how is it that it works during commercials?

Never heard of this feature before, just tried it and it correctly pulled up Kroll Show and The Departed...nice little gimmick

|[JTC MaxxHD]|

Back