My RAZR died! Won't charge

RAZRmax

Reaction score
The plug is f'd up. I can plug the chargers into other phones and they work fine. Ugh.

So my phone is not up for upgrade until May. Do I have any choices? Other than bending over and taking the full price?

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Could try to fix it, there are several vids on youtube. Or a used Razr is only about $100 on ebay

[video=youtube;yjnXcFG3674]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjnXcFG3674[/video]

OP
R

RAZRmax

Reaction score
Connector is missing a pin

The leftmost pin is gone, along with the plastic under it.

I don't suppose these can charge via HDMI connector can they?

doniago

Reaction score
Not that I'm aware of, sorry to say. :(

If you have multiple chargers you might try using a different one, but it sounds like the issue is on the phone itself...

Best of luck!

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
Another example of why a removable battery is essential. I was about to recommend an external battery charger till I saw the model.

OP
R

RAZRmax

Reaction score
Upgraded

I had an upgrade to cash in, so I did it and went for a Maxx.

Two things I really like about it: 1) obviously the battery life, and 2) it supports wireless charging. So I have a 2nd method of charging my phone if the mechanical connector fails.

Does the Verizon multi-headed hydra phone-to-phone converter work only using the power plug? Meaning is there a way to recover my pics? Not a big deal if not. Just wondering.

OP
R

RAZRmax

Reaction score
So here's a follow up: I pried the cover off and tied the leads from a (sacrificial) charger to the battery posts. Now I can power it up and am grabbing all my data... not that there's much or anything of value just mostly photos.

Sending the data to VZW backup for contacts and media. When I get the new phone, will it automatically restore? There isn't a "Restore" option in the app on the RAZR so how do you initiate it?

At least I can keep the phone alive for a few days charging externally. Better than nothing.

Krenzy

Reaction score
I was gonna chime in with the battery jumper cables, glad it worked! When you start your phone fresh, you'll enter your Google account info and it will ask if it should sync contacts, info, etc. This will bring back your contact infoif you've ever had it backed up with Backup Assistant.

OP
R

RAZRmax

Reaction score
I did get all my data backed up to Verizon. So relief.

Not sure if the battery is charging or not. It was dead, dead, dead only would do the Moto splash screen, grunt, then die. When I hooked the battery jumpers up, the display showed 50% after about 10 minutes which obviously wasn't right. Now it's down to 20%. Measured the voltage on the jumpers, about 4.5VDC with the charger plugged in and 4VDC when unplugged. So I'm wondering if the phone just doesn't know how much of a charge is on the battery. It would be nice to keep it alive for a couple of days until my Maxx comes in but if the phone doesn't know the real charge on the battery that might not work.