OG Droid to Thunderbolt learning curve

gatecitycanes

Reaction score
Even though I wasn't supposed to be able to upgrade until December, I got a text this week about being able to upgrade now. I went into the store to play with the Thunderbolt and the thing sure is pretty.

I was wondering from others who went from the original Droid to this phone how steep the learning curve was? Anything you miss about the old phone (besides the keyboard, obviously).

Also, I've done some poking around about rooting it (gotta have wifi tether). I was able to root the Droid but by the time I had done it the community had it so well fleshed out that a 2-year old could have done it. Is it easy to root the Thunderbolt or do you need a degree from MIT?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
(Snip)

I was able to root the Droid but by the time I had done it the community had it so well fleshed out that a 2-year old could have done it. Is it easy to root the Thunderbolt or do you need a degree from MIT?

Maybe not a degree from MIT, but the Thunderbolt, like it's AT&T counterpart, the HTC Inspire, is considerably more difficult (tricky might be the better word) to root. If you find the right rooting program and follow the directions to the letter, you should be OK - but it's not a walk in the park by any means.

-Mike

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
(Snip)

I was able to root the Droid but by the time I had done it the community had it so well fleshed out that a 2-year old could have done it. Is it easy to root the Thunderbolt or do you need a degree from MIT?

Maybe not a degree from MIT, but the Thunderbolt, like it's AT&T counterpart, the HTC Inspire, is considerably more difficult (tricky might be the better word) to root. If you find the right rooting program and follow the directions to the letter, you should be OK - but it's not a walk in the park by any means.

-Mike

Agreed! It's not really harder but is more involved to root. The community here and on the TB forums are awesome sources for help though...as well as xda and the irc.

This thread has been Thunder struck!