Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
0c8722702ec0e93088b7612ce683a079.jpg

The Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S8+ will not charge fast when the phone is actively used while charging, or even if the screen is on. The fast charging notification will continue to be shown in the status bar, but the devices will charge at regular speeds. Keep in mind that you will see your phone charging faster if you just leave it be and refrain from turning the screen on too much. Why Samsung has the limitation in place is unclear. It could be a way of ensuring the device doesn’t overheat.

Source

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Could this be a safety issue? Fast charging = battery heat. Screen usage = battery heat. Combined and you could have a Note 7 situation (though overblown as it was) on your hands.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Sounds like Samsung's fast charging system is inferior compared to their competitors. I can do what I please with my moto phone and it will turbo charge any time as long as I'm using Usb-c/Usb-c cable.

And it doesn't overheat, ever, even in full sun while wirelessly charging, streaming audio over Bluetooth and navigating GPS. And I have a bigger battery in a thinner device then s8!

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Sounds like Samsung's fast charging system is inferior compared to their competitors. I can do what I please with my moto phone and it will turbo charge any time as long as I'm using Usb-c/Usb-c cable.

And it doesn't overheat, ever, even in full sun while wirelessly charging, streaming audio over Bluetooth and navigating GPS. And I have a bigger battery in a thinner device then s8!
same with my LG... sometime it gets really really hot but that's to be expected if I'm actively using it... and when it's charging and I'm using it the phone gets just as hot as regular use.

jadmorffier

Reaction score
same with my LG... sometime it gets really really hot but that's to be expected if I'm actively using it... and when it's charging and I'm using it the phone gets just as hot as regular use.

What model Moto and LG smartphones do you guys have?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
I thought with Quick Charge 3.0 Qualcomm set out to make charging your phone more efficient to prevent things like excess power being lost as heat?

I'm definitely not an electrical engineer, but it seems like they could have made better use of their hardware. With my G5, I honestly don't notice an increase in heat when it's on the charger and I'm laying in bed playing a game or something on it.