Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Yes on bolt ?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Well I assume you would just need to boot into recovery and install but honestly I know nothing about the t-bolt to offer you any directions or specifics. I would recommend heading over to that section and looking around, possibly posting a question there.

dja1980

Reaction score
I'm a little stuck.

In the "Downgrade" section of the tutorial Squeak linked to, #11 states: "It should take about 20 minutes to flash the 2.3.20 firmware. Once it's finished, the Motorlola Droid 2 will reboot itself and it will go into a bootlaoder. Pull the battery and power back while holding the X button. Once you see an Android with the triangle & exclamation point, press the Search button on the keyboard."

The problem is... I don't see a Search button. What do I do now?

Edit: Nevermind... I think I've got it. I tried the magnifying glass button first, and it didn't work. Now I pressed & held it for a few seconds, and it seemed to do the trick!

Last edited:
OP
Squeak87

Squeak87

Reaction score
Yes the magnifying glass is the search button. I'm new to all this too so I know some of the terms people use can be confusing, but everyone on these forums has been patient and a blessing with their help.

dja1980

Reaction score
And you're right... the dowloaded .sbf file flashed the phone back to 2.2. I know it's going to automatically try to upgrade back to 2.3 and knock root out, so I need to to a little research on Rootkeeper apps, or some method to keep root with the stock ROM.

OP
Squeak87

Squeak87

Reaction score
I went to the app market and searched "RootKeeepr" and there should be a free app. My D2 has not tried to update since I rooted a few days ago but it still might. Now that you sbf back to 2.2 try downloading "z4root" and run it right on your phone to root!

OP
Squeak87

Squeak87

Reaction score
I was reading more into that 'root keeper', and it says it will protect and restore your root access if you receive an OTA update, so if I updated to GB 2.3.3 would I be able to restore my root on the newer OS?

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
I don't have any experience with them. I would think if it doesn't you could just SBF back.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

OP
Squeak87

Squeak87

Reaction score
Yeah I could always do that, but I've had to do that a lot already, still I believe I will try it for the sake of research. I will post an update afterwards.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Unless that's something new I haven't heard of it. Are you logged into your Google account?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

OP
Squeak87

Squeak87

Reaction score
::Update:: If you use a 'Root Keeper' and receive an OTA update it will download but the root keeper stops it from actually installing, so you remain rooted but not on the updated OS.

OP
Squeak87

Squeak87

Reaction score
As for the 'Motorola Service Account' I saw a few people with the same issue. Some said to just factory reset the phone to fix but I actually had to sbf to 2.2 again to fix mine, of course this only matters if you want to recieve OTA updates.

OP
Squeak87

Squeak87

Reaction score
I am back to the unrooted GB 2.3.3 OS because I was having a problem with my Backup Assistant not syncing and my Google account kept deleting itself from my phone. Any ideas on how to correct this problem so I can root again?

dja1980

Reaction score
Thanks for the updates on Rootkeeper. The phone I was working is still on 2.2 rooted... didn't try to update back to 2.3.3, but I did install Rootkeeper. We haven't had any issues with it deleting his Google account, but I believe I skipped the Backup Assistant step when I was activating his phone since he doesn't use it.