Ram running over 500Mb

spect2owner

Reaction score
Anyone know of a good solution to the RAM running so high on these phones? I go into my task killer and turn off all the apps then a moment later the RAM is right back above 500MB . I also do the clear RAM. It would be nice if I could keep the unused apps dormant until I select them. Just wondering if anyone is having the same issue with the VS930?

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Android keeps apps running in the background so it can access them faster and better when you open them. RAM isn't an issue unless you run out. As long as CPU usage is 0-low you should be fine.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

OP
S

spect2owner

Reaction score
GoCliffGo05 said:
Android keeps apps running in the background so it can access them faster and better when you open them. RAM isn't an issue unless you run out. As long as CPU usage is 0-low you should be fine.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Thanks GoCliffGo05 I wasn't sure if it effected my processing or not so thanks for insight.

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
To go into a bit more depth on the RAM, because I love talking about it...

RAM is a piece of hardware that uses the same amount of power, regardless of how much RAM is actually being used by /system/ (the OS and the applications etc..).

Android does a pretty good job at managing its own memory (it used to suck, but has gotten way better over the years, which is why task killers even existed) and will kill tasks as it needs to open new ones (the lag sometimes seen when this happens is usually avoided when the system starts to create cache files, which are placeholders stored to the local disk to be recalled faster when RAM needs it).

So, unused RAM is wasted RAM. Now, there are some cases where heavy power users will actually max out the RAM often, I've never been able to do it, but some claim to. Whatever. This is why a lot of people like to root their phones and disable all the bloat applications on the phone that no one ever uses but the carriers say we have to have. This does in fact free up RAM to make room for the apps you do want to use run slightly faster, though the average user will not really notice.

That's RAM in a very quick nutshell.

What does eat battery: When apps use the CPU, the screen, and the radio (data connection). So, make sure background apps aren't using any of those for better battery performance. Turn off push notifications for instance will help. Tell social apps like Facebook to only refresh when you open the app helps, basically anything that is set to refresh itself in the background on a set schedule is going to use battery.

Hope this helps.

Layvin1

Reaction score
Nice explanation on RAM. With that being said, I have never had trouble with understanding it. But I this phone does chew up some RAM... I have a lot of bloat removed,frozen, or disabled and without any apps running in the background its constantly at 200mb or less available. During typing this I just remembered I used RAM Manager Pro on my old DroidX² to keep things under control and it would give you detail into how much RAM was being used by individual items. Time to investigate.

Sent from the Best overlooked phone in the market. LG SPECTRUM²