Rapid Battery Drain and Very Sluggish on Phone dialing

REMilk

Reaction score
I have been using the the Droid 3 since August 2011 with little problem and few annoyances. Over the past month, I have been suffering through 2 problems. The phone is stock/NOT rooted. I am running Android version 2.3.4 with Baseband version of N_03.18.32P.

1. Very Rapid Battery Drain. I have the same widgets that I installed on Day 1, no more/no less. None have had a recent update. The strange thing I notice is that screen is not the number 1 but the following is the latest list.
Android OS 18%
Motorola Services 17%
Google Services 15%
Contacts 12%
Wifi 5%
Phone idle 3%
Cell Standby 3%
Screen display 3%
Voice Calls 2%
Facebook 2%
DropBox 2%

As you can see applications are not the problem. Any suggestions?

2. It takes anywhere from 1 second to 15 minutes to place a call, the majority of times I try to call it takes 4-5 minutes to place the call. Any suggestions?

I am of the opinion, I may have to do a factory refresh and reload all apps.

Thank you,
Bob

Update:

Last night (December 27, 2012), I did a factory refresh and limited the apps I re-installed to those I primarily use. I did not re-install the home screen/launcher replacement (though there have been no reports of the type of behavior I was experiencing), "Beautiful Widgets" or "Folder Organizer". I also did not re-install Google Voice as I have read of this causing conflicts. (NOTE: I removed this app, and did a battery pull prior to the factory refresh to see if removing Google Voice improved performance, but it did not).

The results...... My Droid 3 is as snappy as it was when I got it new in August 2011.

I will slowly add back a couple of games, "Angry Birds", "Bad Piggies" and a Train game for my grandson.

My Droid 3 needs to make it to April when I am eligible for a new phone. I know I will have to make a full-price purchase to keep my unlimited data plan.

Bob

I also have the same issues with phone dialing. i am slowly uninstalling apps trying to find the culprit. in all what apps did you have before reset?

I also have the same issues with phone dialing. i am slowly uninstalling apps trying to find the culprit. in all what apps did you have before reset?

The first things I did was delete all text messages and cleared cache.

I removed Google Voice and Facebook. I pulled the battery after each un-install. Since there was no improvement, I just moved all pics, docs, music, etc from the internal media. I bit the bullet and did a factory reset.

Still running well.

The first things I did was delete all text messages and cleared cache.

I removed Google Voice and Facebook. I pulled the battery after each un-install. Since there was no improvement, I just moved all pics, docs, music, etc from the internal media. I bit the bullet and did a factory reset.

Still running well.

That's going to be fun. Time to start moving stuff.

Dialing Sluggishness

IMPORTANT: Make sure you have or know the log in/sign in information for your apps before doing a factory refresh.

Actually the "Factory Refresh" was quite painless.

I was already storing all my pics, docs, and music on the External SD Card or in one of my cloud accounts, so there was little to move; just any pics on text messages I wanted to save. I also used my Google account for contacts so I did not even have to back up my contacts.

The Factory Refresh took about 10 minutes with another 5 or 6 minutes for activating the phone.

Since I used my Google account for contacts, they were automatically restored. I went to the Google Play Store and slowly and with great deliberation, started to reload applications. At this point, I installed only those apps that I use or know I need. I stuck with the stock launcher and did not re-install either Fancy Widgets or Beautiful Widgets.

I was amazed at all the apps I had loaded that I have never used on my Droid 3 or even previously on my original Droid. These apps are in my list so I can install when I need them.

Since reloading apps, I have discovered a function in an app that drains batteries rapidly..... Whenever FaceBook does not connect or respond, it will run and run trying to connect/respond and drain the battery. You must close it prior to turning off the screen.

A downside, you may have to log in/sign in to each app the first time. Some apps saved the info on the external SD Card, so these did not need the log in/sign in redone; others I had to log in.

It has been 4 days and other than the aforementioned FaceBook problem, the battery life is once again great, the response is snappy, and dialing is rapid.

Good Luck,
Bob

IMPORTANT: Make sure you have or know the log in/sign in information for your apps before doing a factory refresh.

Actually the "Factory Refresh" was quite painless.

I was already storing all my pics, docs, and music on the External SD Card or in one of my cloud accounts, so there was little to move; just any pics on text messages I wanted to save. I also used my Google account for contacts so I did not even have to back up my contacts.

The Factory Refresh took about 10 minutes with another 5 or 6 minutes for activating the phone.

Since I used my Google account for contacts, they were automatically restored. I went to the Google Play Store and slowly and with great deliberation, started to reload applications. At this point, I installed only those apps that I use or know I need. I stuck with the stock launcher and did not re-install either Fancy Widgets or Beautiful Widgets.

I was amazed at all the apps I had loaded that I have never used on my Droid 3 or even previously on my original Droid. These apps are in my list so I can install when I need them.

Since reloading apps, I have discovered a function in an app that drains batteries rapidly..... Whenever FaceBook does not connect or respond, it will run and run trying to connect/respond and drain the battery. You must close it prior to turning off the screen.

A downside, you may have to log in/sign in to each app the first time. Some apps saved the info on the external SD Card, so these did not need the log in/sign in redone; others I had to log in.

It has been 4 days and other than the aforementioned FaceBook problem, the battery life is once again great, the response is snappy, and dialing is rapid.

Good Luck,
Bob

Yeah I know I just dread doing it hahaha :-D

Back