Razr running slow? Don't forget text messages!!

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
So my Razr had begun to run like molasses. I read a thread on here and deleted the app cache, and did a few more tweaks.

It would behave ok for a half a day then go into slow motion mode again.

Then a coworker reminded me to delete old text messages. I had 3000-4000 on my phone. I deleted them all and this thing is running like brand new again!! So if you are experiencing slow performance, remember to purge text messages. Makes a big difference.

YellowJacket

Reaction score
Good tip to share and it does work. I have been doing it for a while whenever my phone starts to slow down.

David

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Agreed. And for those of us who are totally anal and want to keep those texts preserved for all time to come (so they can be used against us in court, perhaps?) :icon_eek:

SMS Backup & Restore (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore&hl=en) is the app I've used for years and it's been flawless. Make sure to change the destination folder from the internal memory to the external (Menu, Preferences, Backup Folder, External Storage Card). There's an addon for the utility that works in conjunction with Dropbox and Google Drive for automatic cloud backup (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestoreNetworkAddon&hl=en). Another item worth mentioning, it keeps everything in the same chronological order with all conversations and replies in the threads, so it will look exactly the same on the new phone.

By using that tool, you can both clear out your SMS to speed up your phone, and at the same time restore it whenever you want (such as to recall a particular conversation, phone number or other useless information).

:D