Reverting to Stock 2.2 kernel

greg3d

Reaction score
Is there a way to revert back to the stock FRG22D kernel, much like you can install one of Chevy's or P3's custom kernels? If so can someone point me to where I can get it?

Reason: I have a custom kernel installed, and cant install the official FRG83D (2.2.1) that I was pushed, unless I revert back or wipe the phone back to a saved backup with stock kernel.

I'd rather not have to backup to an old version if avoidable.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
OP
G

greg3d

Reaction score
You do realize that you will lose root by installing that update to your phone, don't you? But there is a way to install that update and keep root if you have a custom recovery image, which you should as that is the only way you should have been able to install your custom kernel.

Yes I do understand that I would lose root, but I root manually with RSD which still works with the FRG83D. However, what I want to do is be able to install the FRG83D update without having to revert back to an old recovery image. Currently with the custom Kernel I cannot apply the update, which is why I was asking about being able to just revert the kernel to the stock FRG22D one.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
So then I suggest again that you read the post I linked. It tells you how to edit the updater-script file in the official FRG83D update file. Make sure you edit the file either on Linux (gedit), or using Notepad++ (google it, it's free) on windows. This way you can get all the official updates without having to revert your kernel to stock, nor have to re-root your phone afterwards.

good luck

mmurray

Reaction score
I need to go back to factory too, I think. Only cause even though root says successful, it has been rebooting every minute for days now. This keeps my battery too low to try much.

I did the sbr and motocache update.

If there are any solutions for boot/loop without the need for a charged battery, I'd LOVE to know about it.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
"sbr"? What's that? Anyways, try doind a factory data reset first. Rooting in and of itself will not create the problem you have. Either something wasn't quite done right, or there's something you've done since.

good luck

mmurray

Reaction score
Root/loop and resultant non-charging battery

I was able to get back to stock after I got a new battery; the reboot/loop kept my battery too low to try much.

The new guy (me) hears about capabilities only possible through root.

Next he googles for droid root. So he finds himself in the middle of a forum which shows what to download. Little details like full battery could be missed at this point. I can hear the eyes roll.
Anyway, a new battery arrived and within five minutes or so after I copied the stock frg22 sbr file (175meg or so) via sd card reader I was able to load it (USB connected and rse lite (?) to run it).

This stopped the boot/loop and battery started charging strait way.
(will redo bother motocache-1 soon).
BTW..
I had reformatted the sd card with the pc since it had a few corrupted folders which were otherwise unremoveable. These were created during unsuccessful backups resulting from low battery mischief.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Teddy, I think you missed the fact that since the only way for most users to get a custom kernel on is via custom recovery that means it was most like that it wasn't his kernel blocking the OTA, it was his recovery image...

mmurray, I'm glad you got it working again. If you run into any further problems, please let us know. :)

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
This is true, but you can unroot and restore the stock recovery image without reverting to the stock kernel as well. But I might be getting this thread confused with one I've been trying to help with over at MDW. that guy can't get the update because he still has a custom kernel, but nothing else.