Syncing outlook on Samsung Fascinate

akwest66

Reaction score
I just purchased the Samsun Fascinate...pretty cool. I have read many of the posts concerning syncing, have done lots of searching to find answers. Much of the info is quite dated so I am asking a familiar question or two or three.

1. I use Outlook (I was a devoted Lotus Organizer user until I got the BB and then really had no choice but to switch to Outlook) and want the smoothest sync possible to get all of my contacts, calendar, notes and tasks (the last two are not critical). I have looked at sites that compare the various software, again, fairly dated and none shine through. I was wondering if anyone found a great solution/software that does not involve using Google calendar, etc.

I am open to switching to a new software if I can export all of my data.

2. Does anyone with the Fascinate know why I have very few bars (coverage)? My BB never had any problem, I notice a big discrepancy with the Fascinate.

3. All of the sudden my email notifications don't work...can't seem to get them to show up. Any thoughts?

4. Any glitches/problems I should know or be aware about?

Thanks in advance.

Allie

solar

Reaction score
The only part I have any knowledge on is using Google Calendar sync to sync calendar items. If you search for that in google it will be the 1st or second entry. However, this only syncs the calendar, not contacts or anything like that. Also, the PC the software is installed on will only sync with your google account if its on and running. Maybe someone else has a more complete answer. I run a droid2 so I don't have much knowledge on the samsung models specifically.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Much of the info is quite dated so I am asking a familiar question or two or three.
The options really haven't changed much. Gsyncit will sync Outlook to a Google account (including Google calendar) which will, in turn, sync with your device. Alternately you can use the cable sync apps such as CompanionLink, etc. There's really not a good desktop PIM app for Android as it's really intended for cloud sync so I'm not sure there's really a better option than Outlook unless you just don't like it.

Does anyone with the Fascinate know why I have very few bars (coverage)? My BB never had any problem, I notice a big discrepancy with the Fascinate.
Bars aren't that useful for comparisons. If you want to compare coverage/reception then you need to get dB and compare. Are your calls/data actually affected or are you just fixated on the number of bars?

All of the sudden my email notifications don't work...can't seem to get them to show up. Any thoughts?
What email app are you using? Have you checked the notification settings in the app?

Emperor Crusher

Reaction score
I am going to suggest MyPhoneExplorer, since you want to focus on Calendar and Contacts, you want something that is easy to use and just works, and you don't want to sync through Google.

As @anonydroid said, you can go to www.syncdroid.net to look up MyPhoneExplorer and other sync software. I have found that MPE has an excellent reputation.

RMSato

Reaction score
I had a similar concern switching from RIM to Anroid. I am using CompanionLink on my Samsung Fantastic and it works great with my Outloook: Calander, Contacts, Notes and Tasks. I am not disappointed - just have to learn a newer system.