Terrible Droid 2 Global call quality

JBD

Reaction score
I love everything about my new Droid 2 Global *except* it has *terrible* call quality. Voice is muddy and very indistinct, to the point where I really don't want to use this thing as a phone. I am on Verizon wireless. My old verizon prepaid phone has way better call quality than the D2G. It seems Motorola have also disabled the ##program option for switching the codec, so I am at a loss what to do.

Is anyone else having issues? Suggestions? Given what I see in the forums about call quality on other Droids, it is amazing to me that Motorola still have not fixed this. A smartphone still has to work as a phone!!.

I am going to return this thing, but I don't know what to replace it with: I need global, slide-out keyboard, wifi, GPS, etc.

leobg

Reaction score
I am using mine on GSM/UMTS and sound quality is quite good. On the other end my voice also sounds fine, people say indistinguishable from a land line.
Maybe Verizon/Motorola forced lower quality codec in order to up the talk time numbers, not sure. Ironically, judging by others reports as well as my experience, this phone seems to work better outside Verizon network (on non CDMA networks).

OP
J

JBD

Reaction score
*228 Option 2 trick helped a lot

Update to my original post: I just tried the *228 option 2 "trick" and that has improved things dramatically. My wife and I could carry on a relatively clear conversation for the first time (she did the trick too with her D2G). Not landline quality but pretty typical cellphone quality.

atwong66

Reaction score
Strange! My call quality is great now, and I do have to go places. I have noticed that some places are worse than others. May be next time I notice poor quality, I will try that *228 option 2 trick too and see if it improves. It makes sense that it works, because it actually updates the towers database on your phone.

PsyberEMT

Reaction score
I too am having cruddy call quality. I was able to access ##program with no problems, but the codec choice isn't there.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I too am having cruddy call quality. I was able to access ##program with no problems, but the codec choice isn't there.

Did you try *228?

LeviathanDan

Reaction score
Compared to my old phone (casio gZone boulder) my droid 2 global has fantastic clarity. Sometimes if the other phone has poor quality i have trouble understanding but that is not a problem with the D2G.

pobrien904

Reaction score
I am having no problems at all. When talking to other people they can't tell I'm on a cell phone.

Can I ask where you are? I am in the DC area and have excellent 3G signal. That might have something to do with it.

I am using my D2G on cdma only.